PDA

View Full Version : replacing axle QC axle tube??

hogglett
02-09-2012, 11:19 AM
I have a RR axle tube bent on a Winters Grandnational QC rearend. I Have the old one pressed out and the bell cleaned up with a new tube on order. It looks pretty straight forward but am I missing something or is there any "special" tricks that I need to know? thanks in advance for any response.

Kelly Hogg
Baker Racing #33

missile07
02-09-2012, 12:41 PM
We put the new tube end in ice to help it slide in and line up then had to press it slightly

Egoracing
02-10-2012, 07:07 AM
I used a hot air gun on the tube and warm it up until you can not hold it, 130-150 is hot enough, ice the tube end in a 5 gallon bucket for about 20 minutes and when the bell is hot it will slide right in. Make sure the bell is on something that is level and then plumb the tube and check it 90 degrees from the first spot you checked it to make sure the tube is straight and in about 5 min it will be done. Then drill. tap and use a little thread lock on the bolts

hogglett
02-10-2012, 08:24 AM
thanks guys I hope to have the new tube monday and I'll give it a whirl Wednesday when I get back to the garage .

Kelly Hogg
Baker Racing #33

racin6mod
02-10-2012, 08:51 PM
I just did this for a customer last night. very simply heat the bell (I use my propane space heater)just set the bell on top for about 15 min. and check the hole dia it should be 3.010 once you get ther drop in the tube while it's still heating up. now take it off the heater and let cool thin drill and tap your bolt holes.

dsm_speeder
02-11-2012, 08:53 PM
These are all good ideas but this is how I do them, I was taught by George Lee at Mason Racin. As soon as you get your tube put it in the deep freeze, if deep freeze or freezer is unavailable put a bag of ice and a decent amount of Methanol in a 5 gal bucket. When you start to see frost on your tube put your side bell in a household oven at or below 250 deg for approx 20 minutes (do not go over 250 degrees as this will start to take the temper out of the bell. Then take the tube from the freezer and the bell out of the oven, your race will more than likely fall out, do not worry it will go back in with ease. Set the tube in the opening of the bell and drop it in. You can check it for straightness but I have yet to have one be unsquare but I still always check it. Hold for about 1-2 minutes and it will no longer move, flip over being very careful that it will not move and put the race back in (should fall in). This is a very controlled way of doing it as an oven and freezer will provide consistant heat/cold over torch or blowdryer etc. Hope this helps. By the way if you use the old ladies oven, save yourself the headache and clean it good and put a pan underneath it. I do powder coating so the oven is the easy part.