PDA

View Full Version : Bms setup help

crateracer16
02-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Looking for baseline bms setup. 4 bar.metric clip.

mod557
02-15-2012, 06:28 AM
Hello, need a lot more info. Which rear brackets are on the car (how many holes), bar length's (bottom bar using plugs to shorten bar?) brake floater? Nova lowers? etc. Driving style? Then we can help you no problem.

dirttrackrocker
02-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Call Joel at Close Racing supply.... He knows BMS inside out and backwords...

http://www.closeracingsupply.com/

crateracer16
02-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Cages have 3 holes on top and 2 on bottom. There are no bars on the car right now. I Need to know baseline lengths. Metric lowers. There is a brake floater but it's part of the bird cage and on the right rear. I just got the car and I'm trying to get it setup right from the start. I need to move the cages to get them in line with the chassis mounts still but want to wait until I get the right lengths on the rods. Driving style is wide open. :) its an 04 chassis. I've emailed bms numerous times(I work while they are open and can't call) and I haven't received anything back from them. I will try Joel next.

mod557
02-15-2012, 07:12 PM
First thing he is 100% correct Joel knows the most about these cars out there period. I would suggest starting out Z link on the right side of this car. Both bars 20 1/4 on right rear. You need to purchase the plug(s) for 4 bar set up then the bar length are 16 upper 14 lower. Not sure what you got going on for brake floaters, in 04 both brake calipers were attached to the birdcages or left side floated to the chasis. Spring behind works best with a pair of 200lbs springs in the back. I have had three of their metric chasis and they are great but don't turn for crap with metric lowers. I suggest switching to nova lowers and start out 800lf and 700rf springs. J bar 5" up on frame level at pinion. 52% left 58% rear and 60lbs left rear bite to start. 6" front ride heights and 2 3/4" between right rear underslung and rear end tube. Left side changes with wedge/bite setting. Talk with Joel or Brandon at BMS. Hope this helps a little.

dirttrackrocker
02-16-2012, 09:06 AM
First thing he is 100% correct Joel knows the most about these cars out there period. I would suggest starting out Z link on the right side of this car. Both bars 20 1/4 on right rear. You need to purchase the plug(s) for 4 bar set up then the bar length are 16 upper 14 lower. Not sure what you got going on for brake floaters, in 04 both brake calipers were attached to the birdcages or left side floated to the chasis. Spring behind works best with a pair of 200lbs springs in the back. I have had three of their metric chasis and they are great but don't turn for crap with metric lowers. I suggest switching to nova lowers and start out 800lf and 700rf springs. J bar 5" up on frame level at pinion. 52% left 58% rear and 60lbs left rear bite to start. 6" front ride heights and 2 3/4" between right rear underslung and rear end tube. Left side changes with wedge/bite setting. Talk with Joel or Brandon at BMS. Hope this helps a little.

Definately get rid of the metric lowers. If not you will need to be up above 1000# on RF.

dirttrackrocker
02-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Whys that? I run a metric steet stock and dont own a spring rated over 750, currently have a 580 or 590 in the rf cant remember for sure.

Ive heard this before about metric mods though so thought I would ask?

My experience was the RF bottomed out on the frame and pushed real bad. HEAVY DUTY said on their metric mods they recommend starting around 1100# on the RF. I went to a 1050# and it cured the problem.

crateracer16
02-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Ok. Dumb question but what is a plug for the bars? What's the difference between metric and nova lowers? Thanks for all the help so far guys!!!!

mod557
02-17-2012, 06:32 AM
On this car and many mods they use bolt on brackets (for lower link only) that shortens the lower bar, somtimes called plugs ( at least by me I guess).Without these brackets the lower link is longer than the top link and that is bad for several reasons. As far as nova lowers go they are better in many ways, motion ratios are better allowing for softer front springs (mods love that) and they make the front wheel base wider much closer to the very popular chevelle stance. I never tried pinto spindles, always ran metric, but heard they helped some and are way stronger. Just watch bump steer and right tie rod clearance if you run them.

dirttrackrocker
02-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Metric Lowers have a 23% ratio

Nova Lowers have a 30% ratio

Chevelle Lowers have a 36% ratio

If you have a 650# Spring in a Chevelle lower 650# x 36% = 234# at the ball joint.

To get close to that with a Metric lower you would need a 1000# spring

1000# x 23% = 230# at the ball joint.

Also be aware that if you go to Nova lowers, you will need to buy 5" springs instead of the 5 1/2" that Metrics and Chevelle's use.

charcoal01
02-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Dirttrack, clear your pm's, got a question I wanted to ask ya. Thanks

powerslide
02-17-2012, 04:53 PM
chevelle's use 5in springs as well as the nova's. the stock metric lowers use 5.5