PDA

View Full Version : ENGINE ER AhH CAMSHAFT SELECTION

croston71
02-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Do you chose an Engine (s) based the reputation of the builder or is a camshaft chosen based on head & piston compression ratios.
My thinking is I do not hear many fellows engines pull down in the corners bt at times (step up) butt
then the RPM's have nowhere to go.
I was taught a camshaft has a range low to high & you should be on the low end {bottom} coming out & near the top about 3/4 of the way down the straight ( although a circle track is hammer down & near peak at all times) !!!
I recall a time at Interstate 79 Steve Francis spoke about opting for a small engine [ CONFIGURATION] but I believe he was refering to camshaft selection. I was wrote(theroretically) about engine packages that might allow the engine to continue rotating to allow the RPM to stay consistant if you { cause of setup miscue} had to back off the throttle momentarily.
CASE IN POINT ; THR REAL DEAL reigns supreme many places butt is missing something at certain places & I do not believe he is misunderstanding his setups butt pushes harder for lack of -------- !!!

sj valley dave
02-16-2012, 05:27 PM
When the tour guys are talikng about smaller engines, they mean cubic inches...Some tracks like the big engines ie: 430-450 inches, and some places like to have the smaller 370-380 inches that will kill those huge torque numbers. Camshafts are matched to cylinder heads, intake system/type and compression, and where you want you rpm range to be...Lots of variables...

perfconn
02-16-2012, 06:49 PM
It is wrong to think that dirt track engines are at wide open throttle all the time.At the Cabin Fever race at Boyds a couple of weeks ago Randy Weaver(the winner) said he never got over half throttle the whole race because the track was so slick.You normally see the good drivers drop 4000rpm or so in the corners except at wide open big tracks like Eldora.