PDA

View Full Version : metric car brake problems ! help!

3_7's
02-19-2012, 11:20 AM
have a metric car hobby stock. we are allowed to run disc in rear. has the stock metric calipers in front, and has the stock camaro style calipers in the rear. i have removed the stock prop. valve and currently have nothing else inline. i have spacers in the rear for the pads. stock metric car master cyl.. front calipers are new, rears & master reman.

ok, i can't get any pedal. have bleed the brakes starting with the farthest one from the master by - vacuum bleeder, pumping 10 times and holding, 1 pump at a time, i even pushed fluid from each caliper back to the master cyl.. can push the pedal and it will lock up the brakes hard enough that they can't be turn by hand but the pedal goes to the floor. so is there i chance that i still have air in the master? it is at a pretty good upward angle and i didn't bench bleed it. seems like it is bypassing because no matter how much i pump the brakes it never gets any pedal but i can feel it kinda wanting too. would like to try a different style master but when the car was built it was built with the stock master mounted to the firewall, so it's pretty tight with the bars. any help would be great. am probally going to try another master. thank 3_7's

rnoswal
02-19-2012, 11:52 AM
I would try another M/C too but this time bench bleed it first if you can. The form of reverse bleeding is a good way to get air out of the m/c if it wasn't bled to begin with. Other than that, if none of your
lines are leaking and not expanding under pressure it does sound like air in the line and probably in the M/C. Another area you may want to check is the rubber hoses to the fronts and the one in back,
if clogged they can cause the system to not bleed properly. Mine went to the floor after what I thought was enough bleeding but did more and it feels pretty good with no pump up after sitting. Let us know
how it goes.

Russ

3dinter
02-20-2012, 08:59 AM
I didnt think it could be done but i mounted the front calipers upside down on the front of a Metric one time. Quite a shocker to spend half a day troubleshooting and then figure it out.

500BOMBER
02-20-2012, 09:27 AM
It sounds to me like that reman MC didn't turn out to be a good one. I'd exchange it for an early 70's non power brake Corvette unit. Napa #10-1371

3dinter
02-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Also, i forget which year exactly but i think the 82-84 S-10 also has a NON-Power MC and they had bigger bore Rear Wheel cylinders which are a direct fit into the metric rear,,if you ran drums.

Someone correct me here if im wrong, but if you have a bigger bore wheel cylinders you get more volume but less pressure, and with a smaller bore wheel cylinder you get more pressure but less volume ???

3_7's
02-29-2012, 11:59 PM
got it guys thanks. the rod from the pedal to the master was not long enough. made a longer rod brakes work.

Driver88
03-01-2012, 07:50 AM
got it guys thanks. the rod from the pedal to the master was not long enough. made a longer rod brakes work.

Make sure brakes arent draggin now if you extended that rod.