PDA

View Full Version : Angle Carb Spacers???

late96
02-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Are these needed and worth the price?? Thanks

perfconn
02-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Waste of money.Leans out one side ofthe engine and does more harm than good.

late96
02-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Thanks, was hoping to spend dollars some place else.

W2racing
02-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Come on guys, no one else has an opinion? I've been wondering about these angled spacers also. They sell like hotcakes on ebay, and tons of cars on youtube have them. Is there really no benefit to them?

hpmaster
02-28-2012, 11:59 AM
The guys who I have asked about them, my engine builder and a carb builder friend of mine said they see no gain in them. Use that money to get the engine properly set up. I bet you could get more gain with a distributer that fires every plug at a consistant advance cylinder to cylinder with a engine properly jetted and tuned on a dyno. May cost more up front but my experiance is you break a lot less stuff in the long run. JMHO

andy16
02-29-2012, 05:06 PM
they are nothing but a sales gimmick. they advertise that this keeps the carb more level and somehow thats supposed to help? you want the carb level to your engine not the ground? by moving one side away from manifold and one side closer you are changing the way the cylinders are pulling a signal from the venturis. with some being closer to the valve and some being further away it will only add variables to why your engine isn running like it should. you want a even signal or as close as possible from all venturis and cylinders. if you notice on high dollar regular spacers they have a small hole in the flange for a dowwel. this is to tune exactly where the carb sits on the spacer for optimum fuel curve. if the "good builders" go through all that trouble to get the carb even this spacer surely will throw a monkey wrench in all that. the dowwel works seen dyno #'s to prove it crate racers. as for it being level to the ground more and that purpose is to keep fuel in the bowls. the only reason your going lean in the corners is a improper float or float adjustment. this angle spacer may mask that but the real problem is the float. there are specific designed floats for specific applications circle track the fuel is always being thrown to the right even on dlm mods etc. on drag racing its always getting thrown back from forward accel. off road for high bumps tilts and jumps. to be sure out of all these there is one that will work for you and make more hp than a spacer. i use a circle track float in the primary bowl and a drag racing in secondary for years w no trouble. i chose this setup bc entering the corner im not full throttle and i only really have lateral g's pushing the fuel to the side. and im only 1/4-1/2 throttle so the secondaries haven kicked in yet im only running on front bowl. by the time i exit up on to the st8 im full throttle. most of my lateral g's have turned into forward g's like a drag car. im running on the front and back bowl now and my back bowl has a drag float to make sure i dont go lean at end of st8. of course there are more than one way to skin a cat. this is what works for me. i run blake carbs from mooresville nc and have chassis dynoed other pop carbs with his winning against two others and his was the cheapest.

rocketdent
03-02-2012, 07:57 AM
on flat tracks they are better if your car is hiking up lf. this does keep motor level to overall ground.

any track with banking your car rocks up and is actually level with ground hiked up. so one is not recommended.

thats what i was told.

jedclampit
03-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Why not angle the engine mounts instead?.......you see where I am going?

If it fixes a blubbery carb mid corner, whats it do when going straight? Get fuel in bowls controlled correctly.

Looks trick, makes fitting hood hole scoop more difficult, inconsistent hood fit to with and without spacer.

hpmaster
03-02-2012, 07:43 PM
I think it isn't of value BUT has any tests been done on what it does for cylinders 3 and 5 on a sm block Chevy? With all the force throwing fluids out to the right in a roundy round car what real advantage does 10 degrees or so of tilt do other than make the intake runners effective length all different?

hpmaster
03-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Why not angle the engine mounts instead?.......you see where I am going?

If it fixes a blubbery carb mid corner, whats it do when going straight? Get fuel in bowls controlled correctly.

Looks trick, makes fitting hood hole scoop more difficult, inconsistent hood fit to with and without spacer.

I am your first business partner! We can make crooked engine plates and angled motor mounts! As for testing, trust us we are nice guys!

merc123
03-02-2012, 08:15 PM
I am your first business partner! We can make crooked engine plates and angled motor mounts! As for testing, trust us we are nice guys!

I already do this. I put a heavy duty polyurethane spacer under the right side of the motor mounts (no midplate for me). On a straight away the motor is level. When I go into the turn the force of going into the turn compresses the spacer and gives me enough angle the motor is getting optimum fuel equalization in all cylinders because it is level.