PDA

View Full Version : LUB on birdcage??

Hagen14t
02-22-2012, 07:24 PM
The birdcage that i have has three different slots on the LRU birdcage. Just wondering pros and cons of moving the bar up and down on the birdcage? The RRU is in the top hole out of three holes, and both lowers are in the top hole out of three(closest to the rearend). Should i start out in the top hole on the left upper as well? Really lookin for advice. Thanks.

washeduptoo
02-22-2012, 10:08 PM
LRU on b/c quickens reaction as you move closer to the rear axle, indexes b/c and might add some forward bite. Put in top hole to start with furtherest from axle and try the others later.

Hagen14t
02-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Okay sounds good. Both lower bars are in the top(closest to the axle) out of three holes, what do you think of this? Sorry i know im repeating myself im just wondering what the effect of having it like this or if i should lower them down to the middle or bottom holes?

washeduptoo
02-22-2012, 11:35 PM
When we ran the rrb bar in hole closest to axle on b/c car and lowest hole on frame, car was too tight.

Hagen14t
02-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Okay so both of your top ones are in the top holes on birdcage, and the bottom ones are in the middle?

washeduptoo
02-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Tops bars in top hole on b/c and ran the lrb in hole closest to axle tube on b/c top hole and rrb in furtherest from axle tube on b/c, bottom hole.

Hagen14t
02-23-2012, 12:21 AM
Okay i appreciate the help. Im guessing when you moved the RRL bar down on the birdcage it freed the car up? And then do you pretty much leave them in them holes or do you adjust any certain one for track conditions?

washeduptoo
02-23-2012, 06:54 AM
Yes, on rrb bar down on b/c did free it up. We pretty much let them in those holes, but we did from time to time move lrt bar down on b/c depending upon what we were trying to do, usually on very slick tracks for bite off.

Hagen14t
02-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Does moving the lower bars down on the birdcage quicken the birdcage up or slow it down?

washeduptoo
02-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Good question, I would think it would slow it down, not sure, hopefully someone will be able to help you better.

Hagen14t
02-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Okay thanks, anyone??

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Does moving the lower bars down on the birdcage quicken the birdcage up or slow it down?

It decreases that bar's impact on the rotation. For lr lower bar, that bar attempts to rotate the birdcage clockwise when the lr drops relative to the chassis. Dropping the lr on the cage will make the cage rotate more counter-clockwise during axle drop. This will decrease the wheel rate and keep the lr more loaded.

For rr lower bar, it is a bit more complicated. It depends on your static angle. Most likely, the rr lower is rotating the cage counter-clockwise. Therefore dropping it on the cage will slow this down. You will lose indexing in compression and will lose wheel rate. The car will be looser on entry.

In all these examples I assumed you moved the bar at both ends to keep starting angles about the same.

Hagen14t
02-23-2012, 12:04 PM
So say on a dry slick track, you would want to lower the LRL bar on the birdcage and the frame even amounts to keep that tire loaded more?

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Yes, if the car needs to be tighter on the throttle. You have also put more of the thrust load into the lr upper bar when you move the lr lower farther from the axle center as well.

You have to give the car what it needs. Just because the track is slick doesn't mean the car needs to be tighter.

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Sounds like you have a lot of options for your links. I would start with all of them in the center of the cage and all of them 4.5" from the axle center. Adjust things one at a time from there.

washeduptoo
02-23-2012, 02:14 PM
With adding more thrust on lrt bar would that add forward drive off? Thanks for the help.

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-24-2012, 02:52 PM
With adding more thrust on lrt bar would that add forward drive off? Thanks for the help.

Yes. That one has more angle so adding more load to it adds downforce to your tire. That is part of what is happening when you lower the lr top bar on the cage. Leaving everything else constant, moving a link closer to the axle adds load to the link and moving it away lessens load on the link.

washeduptoo
02-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the information.