PDA

View Full Version : Brinn tranny

CHRISTINE
02-23-2012, 07:52 AM
I have a brinn that i beleave is leaking out the vent under racing conditions. Or somwhere else do the vents ever get plugged up and force fluid out somwhere else?? it was rebuilt 10 races ago

JustAddDirt
02-23-2012, 07:59 AM
Does it have the factory vent in it with the cap on the top? If so it should not leak. If someone has replaced the vent with a threaded barb that is just an open hole it will leak, and you might need to put a hose on it with a filter at the top to conatin the fluid.

are you using just shy of a quart of Dex-Merc ATF?
could be over full, and blowing out excess.

CHRISTINE
02-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Yeah it has the stock vent on it and it takes 3/4 OR A LIL MORE of a quart to fill. After a night of racing it takes 1/4 to half a quart to fill i change it every 2 weeks. Can the vent get plugged and push fluid out somewhere else like mayber the tail shaft? Its only wet on the tail housing.

oldtrackchamp4x
02-23-2012, 02:27 PM
I had a similar problem last year. I found the leak was coming from the side cover where the shift rod shafts come out. Had to order the o rings that go on the shats and change them out, no more leak after changing them. I don't know if that is your problem as i didn't lose nearly as much fluid as you are talking, but it's worth looking at.

racin6mod
02-23-2012, 07:02 PM
that's a lot of fluid to loose in one night must have everything under the car covered. you can test the vent by removing the drive shaft from the rearend and slidding the yoke in and out (like a pump) the cap on the vent should pop up as the yoke moves in.I've got one on the bench now and it sounds like an air pump as I tested it. here's a photo that might help.

gm44
03-03-2012, 01:20 PM
The zerk fitting on the back of the tailshaft leaked on mine and had to replace it, the spring got weak.