PDA

View Full Version : Trail/lead

Hagen14t
02-24-2012, 07:00 PM
What does everyone think as a good lead/trail starting number? Ive heard 1/4 inch trail in RR but just wanting some other opinions. Does anyone ever lead the right rear? Just looking for some opinions. Thanks.

johnny v
02-24-2012, 08:46 PM
What does everyone think as a good lead/trail starting number? Ive heard 1/4 inch trail in RR but just wanting some other opinions. Does anyone ever lead the right rear? Just looking for some opinions. Thanks.

I guess it depends on the Chassis and how good the driver is at driving a Mod....... we have a 09 shaw.... calls for a little trail RR ( 1/4")... but I was told by a guy that Crew Chief 'ed on some different type chassis for a few years and he said a few years ago, the skyrockets, hughes and harris cars lead the RR on the usmts circuit.....(tightens them up in the slick)

oldtrackchamp4x
02-24-2012, 09:04 PM
No offense, but have you ever called your chassis builder? In reading the 12-14 threads you have started, i feel it would benefit you to call Allen chassis first and spend some time talking to him getting his setups and thoughts on all your questions. Then post on here to get opinions from other successful Allen chassis owners for their adjustments. Once again no offense, but i think you would be better off by calling him first. I also have a new chassis this year and the builder has only built a couple others, so i am on the phone with him all the time. I also talk to one of the other owners who is very helpful and very successful. He got second at Cocopah Speedway in Arizona last week with 57 mods being there. Can't wait to run mine. Good Luck. JMO

Hagen14t
02-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Yeah i have, actually. Just trying to see what other people are doing and see what other people think.

Flyin Iowan
02-24-2012, 10:46 PM
ive ran up to 1/2" both ways...my rule i go by is if the car is great in and thru center i adjust trail to get exit right....ill pull the RR forward until the car is straight on exit...i think its more driver feel so my theory may not work for you

Hagen14t
02-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Thank you.

1Blacksheep
02-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Driver feel , and how much jacked out of shape he can tolerate runnng down the straights. We prefer our car to only be turning in the corners.

Hagen14t
02-25-2012, 11:57 AM
So you prefer straight up?

dirttrackrocker
02-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Yeah i have, actually. Just trying to see what other people are doing and see what other people think.

I learned long ago.... Find one guy (in this case, your chassis builder) for advice... You will be WAY out to lunch following multiple peoples advice..

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-25-2012, 03:43 PM
I learned long ago.... Find one guy (in this case, your chassis builder) for advice... You will be WAY out to lunch following multiple peoples advice..

Truer words have never been spoken. Guys who go up and down the pits putting a consensus setup under their car always suck bad.

Dirtrunner35
02-25-2012, 07:07 PM
I set the rear axle straight and adjust from there on my old car.

1Blacksheep
02-26-2012, 08:54 AM
If the chassis builders info does not help , then you ask questions everywhere you can . Then start throwing things under the car till you find what the driver likes.Then hope what the driver likes is fast (Its not always). If it was all foolproof there would just be 1 set of holes for the bars and the bars would not be threaded (which would be awesome). Chassis builders would not have to answer the phone then.LOL

slim10
02-26-2012, 09:19 AM
the bar angles will determine your dynamic lead or trail.I have a harris vidio that explains how the bar angles work with body roll.they set thiers straight up static

texas racer
02-26-2012, 01:50 PM
They check the right side at usmts shows I think it is 72 inches from the mid plate to the rear end. But you can always open the left side up.

slim10
02-29-2012, 07:43 AM
72 midplate to center of housing.when you are done adjusting the rear readjust the front.see where the steering wheel is when you go down the straights on parade laps then set the front end with the wheel in that spot

really?
03-12-2012, 11:47 PM
bigger the corners the more lead ,tighter the corners less lead, we have ran as much as 1.5 in. lead on big slick track so your not sliding car