PDA

View Full Version : carbon fibre driveshaft

cameltoeracing
02-24-2012, 08:19 PM
I just recieved my drive shaft, the aluminum ends do not have enough clearance on the yoke, stock winters, on a rocket, is there a special yoke for the new drive shaft, I have the pinion angle set,anyone else had this?

cameltoeracing
02-26-2012, 08:56 PM
I cant belive I have the only drive shaft that has a clearance problem, it works, as long as it is setting on the ground, at ride height, when it is on the lift it is about 2 inches from lineing up with the yoke on my ballspline, the interferance is on the rearend yoke, do they have a yoke that has more clearance for the driveshaft, if not I will have to go back to my steel drive shaft, anyone?

zerolm
02-27-2012, 08:21 AM
I have a Trick shaft with bert ballspline and have no issues... What brand driveshaft is it? You can probably find a yoke that has a smaller distance from outside of u-joint to outside of u-joint.. Then get the correct u-joint to mate the two and you should be good to go..

restad4r
02-27-2012, 08:38 AM
I have a new wiles carbon fiber shaft on the way. It is going on a rocket with a winters as well. As soon as it gets here I will let you know how it fits.

ant.

cameltoeracing
02-27-2012, 08:17 PM
it is a pst,the yoke is the corect size, the problem is, when it is on the lift, the drive shaft binds on the yoke on the rearend, there is not enough clearance for the amount of angle, the ball spline yoke has plenty of clearance, it is the rear yoke that is to narrow just inside of the u bolts,
Thanks, Charlie

andy16
02-28-2012, 04:57 PM
seen this w cheaper aluminum driveshafts.its the alluminum end they are using thats the problem. the u joint bore is too close to driveshaft body. i suggest call pst see what they say. i used to make my own aluminum 2'' driveshaft had this problem w the forged ends. i ground mine out w no problems but dont suggest that for a high dollar piece.

cameltoeracing
03-03-2012, 06:56 PM
fixed it, it apears that the yoke on the rearend, had a bad casting, I had another on, as a back up, it had no interferance problem, has around, .030 clearance all the way around at any angle,

Egoracing
03-04-2012, 09:04 AM
When they first started using carbon fiber I heard of this once and awhile. The CF shafts were originally used in drag cars where suspension movement is minimal and the ends were MUCH bigger than they are using now for circle track.

Canadian
03-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Stick with TRICK, thats who Rocket uses and many others.
His stuff never seems to have problems.
And most of the after market roofs are all copied from him as well.