PDA

View Full Version : KSE tamdem P/S Pump & Fuel pump

LM90
03-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Any one use one of these , pros & cons?

racin6mod
03-03-2012, 07:17 PM
they work quit well and they're easy to work on if needed plus you can mount them in just about any way you need to. on the ng side the only thing keeping the powersteering fluid out of the fuel is an o-ring and a small seal. the thin impeller that pumps the fuel can break after a few seasons.both are easy to repair.

they have changed the design so maybe those issues have been addressed in the new pumps.

FlatTire
03-05-2012, 04:28 PM
I've ran one for about 8years now and never had a problem. Sent it in for rebuild once a few years ago.

I currently have mine set up to run off the front of the engine and got some debris in between the belt and the lower cog and ended up bending the mandrel. If I was to do it again, I'll
mount it to my dry sump pump so its less likely to catch any foreign debris sitting behind the engine.

LM90
03-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Cam you use a 40tooth upper pulley and a 22 tooth lower?

sj valley dave
03-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Thats the combo we use

racer2e
03-10-2012, 01:40 AM
Call tony woodward at woodward steering. The kse pump is the only power steering pump anywhere that I am aware of that is a gerotor pump. They have a linear output. This is not the way to go. In a car, especially a race car, you need more flow at low rpm, to provide assist in the corners where you do the largest amount of input on the wheel. You need very little assist at high rpm, where you are making minor inputs to the wheel. Keep in mind he makes what I consider the best racks and servos, but does not make a pump, and probably knows more about power steering than anyone in the racing game.

sj valley dave
03-10-2012, 01:51 AM
I should have said that we use a KRC with the 40/22 tooth combo on the dry sump..Know squat aboiut a KSE

powerslide
03-10-2012, 11:07 PM
I've ran one for about 8years now and never had a problem. Sent it in for rebuild once a few years ago.

I currently have mine set up to run off the front of the engine and got some debris in between the belt and the lower cog and ended up bending the mandrel. If I was to do it again, I'll
mount it to my dry sump pump so its less likely to catch any foreign debris sitting behind the engine.

are you running gas? if so how do you have it all plumbed?

FlatTire
03-13-2012, 11:41 AM
nope, alcohol.

billetbirdcage
03-13-2012, 02:29 PM
The biggest issue you might run into is a couple of things.

1. Older pumps had a .25 fuel pump rotors, on a real high RPM engine they could break. I'm talking over 8500 RPM stuff like a 358 18 degree/SB2 stuff. They switched to a .375 thick gear and that fixed that issue (that was back in 2000 or so) so it would have to be an old pump to have the thin gears.

2. They do have a tendency to blow the seal between the sections allowing the P/S fluid to be sucked into the fuel side. Next thing you know you got no power steering. It's an easy fix but can be extremely annoying. It usually has to do with the venting of the P/S tank, we found to small a vent and it was more likely to blow the seal. Never 100% cured the problem.

3. Biggest issue! This things don't like to pull fuel out of a top feed type safety cell. If you have a regular cell that pulls out the bottom of the tank, you will not have an issue. However Me and numberous others have had issues with this on ATL or other top feed cells, the only fix was to switch to different bottom feed cell or go to a mechanical/different pump. It won't always do it on you, one race it may be fine and the next race coming off the corner it will just lay down and you'll see the fuel pressure drop and fluctuate. Tried all kinds of things as this happened on 6 different cars that the only way it was fixed was to change cells or pumps.

I like the pumps but if you have a top feed cell I would use something else, as you will likely end up with headaches. I sure someone has had success with a top feed cell using this pump, but I've just seen to many problems to recommend going that way with a top feed cell. Not knocking the product as I still have 4 of this, all products have certain area's where they excel and others where they have issues. This is just my unbiased opinion.

Just my 1.5 cent, take it for what it worth.

I also prefer to ditch the bypass pill and just run a regulator on the end of the fuel log so I can adjust the idle pressure and the max pressure more easily and separately. Just remove the pill, spring and fitting and plug outlet then install regulator on end of fuel log like any other fuel pump.