PDA

View Full Version : LR Drop

DK1
03-04-2012, 08:41 PM
I have an older Rocket Chassis (converted leaf spring car, 2000 BLACK front end). I decided to check my LR drop after installing new shocks (Genesis) and converting from welded teflon style birdcages to the new TWM cages. I found I only about 9 1/2" of travel before the LR FRONT shock bottoms out (already has 2" extension on it) BEHIND shock travels about 7 1/2".

I only ran about 8 nights last year and always had a hard time getting the car on the bars. I was told I should have about 13" of travel.

I can change the shock mounts on the bird cages to get maybe another 1" of travel.

Does anyone have any other ideas how to get more drop on the LR???

fox1162002
03-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Drop your shock mounts on the frame. Those leaf spring cars are alot different. They make a mount that bolts into your shock mounts and drops them 2". I run 13 1/4 of drop in my rockets.

DK1
03-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Do you happen to have a link to where I could get some of these mounts?

andy16
03-04-2012, 09:31 PM
day motorsports prt# sm-4025 should be able to google it. 50 bucks. also you may consider if possible on your birdcage to move the bottom shock mount up on birdcage or flip your mount on birdcage not sure what kind you have or if thats possible for you. i also have welded a steel bolt head to a nut threaded to screw on bottom of shock and screw a 1/2 heim onto bolt threads to get my desired shock extention. never broke it but found a better way shortly after.

andy16
03-04-2012, 09:34 PM
day motorsports also offer bolt on shock mounts that bolt to round tubing with different lengths one of them is 3'' drop i wouldn be afraid to use that either on lrf shock and you can move it around may be better for you

talclipse
03-05-2012, 05:59 AM
With your car being modified from an old leaf spring car that 13" measurement may not be the most precise method there. The 13.5-14" measurement a lot of guys run is based on utilizing the typical LR right height of 7 3/4" - 8" so your droop travel would actual be 5.5 - 6". What are you using for ride heights?

The position of your shock brackets on the birdcage will have a tremendous affect on your available drop as well. BOTH left rear shocks should measure 25.5 center to center when fully extended as well.

fox1162002
03-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Is your car a square tube or round tube car. Like the previous post stated what's your normal ride heights. And figure the difference between the two. I wouldn't be afraid to remodify my shock mounts. I had an older rocket square tube a 96 model and cut the backend off and put round tube on it.

DK1
03-05-2012, 12:21 PM
It is a SQUARE frame. I've been using a 2000 set up sheet to go off of for measurements.

Now I know I said I couldn't get the car on the bars very much but I didn't really have any poor handling concerns. Just didn't really hike up. Then again I was also a rookie.

When I was told I needed 13 1/2" of drop, thats the measurement from the top of the birdcage to the frame. My chassis guy told me the frame heights should still be the same on my old car as a newer car just that they lowered the shock mounts to help with handling.

phenom08
03-05-2012, 04:50 PM
It should be 13.5" from the top of the axle tube not the birdcage.

DK1
03-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Since I have an older car lets try this instead.

With the LR fully extend what bar angles should I have? By the sounds of it I'll be stuck with what I got after I get the 2" drop mounts and change the birdcage mount unless I want to start cutting and welding. I should be somewhere between 12-13".

AmickRacing
03-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Everything I've read on here usually says the max bar angle you want on the LR upper bar is around 45 deg give or take a few deg.

fox1162002
03-06-2012, 03:40 AM
Where is your lr lower bar located at. If it is level or down hill( birdcage end is higher) this will make you lose some drop too. Im not sure what 4 link mounts you have but place your lr lower at 5* up hill and the top start it at 15*. I will put a degree finder on my car and pm you what I have. Not sure if it will help any but who knows.