PDA

View Full Version : Front springs

Hagen14t
03-05-2012, 07:41 PM
What are everyones thoughts on front springs for a chevelle clip? Would a 100 pound difference in the front be too much with the stiffer on thr RF? Say a 600 and 700?

Dirtrunner35
03-05-2012, 08:48 PM
I used a 750 left and 650 right.

Hagen14t
03-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Is that kind of the new deal? Runnin the left front heavier than the right front?

washeduptoo
03-05-2012, 09:16 PM
We've been running the lf heavier than rf since we went to the spring behind lr.

Hagen14t
03-05-2012, 10:09 PM
What is it supposed to do? Keep the RR loaded more?

silver6sp7
03-05-2012, 10:47 PM
I believe make the car rotate, please correct me if I'm wrong.

JR. MECHANIC
03-05-2012, 11:37 PM
850 left, 900 right... don't let the numbers scare ya.

TeamGRT12x
03-06-2012, 12:41 AM
He's driving a modified, not a dump truck.

Dirtrunner35
03-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Helps turn the car in better, IF the rest of the car is set up right. Heavier spring gets the weight . A lot of people makes the right side heavier and it works for them.

oldtrackchamp4x
03-06-2012, 02:05 PM
I would run the springs Kevin Shaw suggested when you talked to him!

johnny v
03-06-2012, 06:01 PM
I would run the springs Kevin Shaw suggested when you talked to him!

our 09 shaw set up sheet calls for 600 lf.... 650 rf......

we have bounced all around those numbers.... down to 525 lf... 500 rf.... and have settled on
500 lf .... 550 rf....

bluemod
03-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Sence were on this subject i have a grt copy and its all metric front end. Ive heard alot of guys talking bout rf bein lighter. Having a metric front end will this help or hurt the car if i went with a lighter rf. I have a 700lf and 800rf . New in the mod world lookin for all the insite i can get

texas racer
03-06-2012, 08:15 PM
600 lf 550rf with steel headed motor 500 450 rf with alum headed motor.

bluemod
03-06-2012, 08:28 PM
we have to run 602 crates

Hagen14t
03-06-2012, 10:44 PM
What would be a tighter setup? 700 650 or 650 600?

dirttrackrocker
03-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Sence were on this subject i have a grt copy and its all metric front end. Ive heard alot of guys talking bout rf bein lighter. Having a metric front end will this help or hurt the car if i went with a lighter rf. I have a 700lf and 800rf . New in the mod world lookin for all the insite i can get

If you are running metric lowers you need to be up closer to 1000 on the RF. Some people are gonna tell you different, but, thats been my experience. Anything less than that and the lower arm would bottom out on the frame.

MacNoodle
03-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Helps turn the car in better, IF the rest of the car is set up right. Heavier spring gets the weight . A lot of people makes the right side heavier and it works for them.

Explain to me how stiffening the lf spring allowed your car to rotate better. A stiffer lf will tighten entry and have very little to no effect on mid corner and corner exit handling, unless your car was so loose to begin with that tightening entry with that spring allowed you to have better entry?

To the original poster, i've noticed you have posted alot of questions on here, which is fine do what you wish, but there are very few members on here that can actually supply you with the correct facts and knowledge you seek. On almost all your threads have have seen nothing more than personal opinions and information going from one end of the extreme to the other. Here is the best advice you could possibly receive on here so take note. Contact your chassis builder, get all his starting points on every detail, attend a racewise chassis school, and then tune your race car around your racing program and what your driver and car tells you it needs, you're just wasting your time on here

JR. MECHANIC
03-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Very good advice.... there isn't very many questions that everyone will have the same opinion on, so sometimes it's best to form your own. Get the facts on how a race car works, start with your chassis builders recommendations unless you have a good reason not to and then listen to what the car is telling you. Btw, mark bush's racewise school is a very good place to learn how a race car works.

oldtrackchamp4x
03-07-2012, 02:19 PM
I've been saying the same thing for weeks. He runs a Shaw chassis and has talked to Kevin Shaw, but apparently feels he needs different information. Oh well, whatever.

washeduptoo
03-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Hagen14T doesn't have a Shaw Chassis, its an Allen Autosports.

oldtrackchamp4x
03-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Washeduptoo: My mistake, you are right , but he did say he called Allen chassis. Another poster asked about shocks and said he had a Shaw. I suggested he call Kevin Shaw. Got the two mixed up. Oh well, once again my mistake. But he should still be getting his info from Allen chassis. JMO

washeduptoo
03-07-2012, 04:05 PM
No problem, your right he has talked to Scotty, I think he just wants to get more opinions on stuff people have tried. He might be like me, think of things on weekend or during nights that he wants opinions on when the chassis builder is not available.

1Blacksheep
03-07-2012, 05:01 PM
What our chassis builder told us does not work for my driver. He is more radical than what that allows. Dumptruck the SOB and see if the driver likes it,mine did. And he got faster.

HRJ
03-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Dumptruck the SOB and see if the driver likes it,mine did. And he got faster.

Is he a "tail out" type driver? If he drives in relatively straight I can't imagine he'd like the stiffer front springs.

dirttrackrocker
03-07-2012, 05:33 PM
I know soft springs don't work for me... I like to drive it in real deep and throw it sideways. I am usually about 100# heavier on the RF than most people.

DK1
03-07-2012, 05:51 PM
what if you have a metric front end mod and don't know what kind of chassis it is? Then what would be a good starting point for front springs?

washeduptoo
03-07-2012, 05:58 PM
With metric lowers they say 900 lf and 1050 rf are a good starting point, hopefully someone can help you better, been using a chevelle clip chassis last 6yrs. Good luck.

Hagen14t
03-07-2012, 06:19 PM
I didnt mean to cause any trouble guys.

bluemod
03-07-2012, 06:26 PM
mines all metric and ive been runnin 800lf 700 rf. And im bout 1in from bottomin out. i run high bank 1/2 mile track.

Dirtrunner35
03-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Explain to me how stiffening the lf spring allowed your car to rotate better. A stiffer lf will tighten entry and have very little to no effect on mid corner and corner exit handling, unless your car was so loose to begin with that tightening entry with that spring allowed you to have better entry?

To the original poster, i've noticed you have posted alot of questions on here, which is fine do what you wish, but there are very few members on here that can actually supply you with the correct facts and knowledge you seek. On almost all your threads have have seen nothing more than personal opinions and information going from one end of the extreme to the other. Here is the best advice you could possibly receive on here so take note. Contact your chassis builder, get all his starting points on every detail, attend a racewise chassis school, and then tune your race car around your racing program and what your driver and car tells you it needs, you're just wasting your time on here

You answered your own question. A car doesn't have to be so loose for it to help, some one asked what it did and I answered it. Never said what it would do for mid or exit.

washeduptoo
03-07-2012, 09:37 PM
You didn't cause any trouble, keep asking questions, that how you learn. Every car/driver are different and once you hit the track you'll have a better idea of what you need. Best of luck.

MacNoodle
03-07-2012, 11:20 PM
You answered your own question. A car doesn't have to be so loose for it to help, some one asked what it did and I answered it. Never said what it would do for mid or exit.

That's exactly what im getting at here, you posted a personal experience and left it up to everyone to decided if your car was loose and needed tightened or was tight and needed freed up, these guys asking these questions probably can't figure out which you're referring to, so they get misleading information, myself I like to post the facts, and let the poster make his own decision based solely on the proven physics of these cars, not leave room for a misunderstanding on a learning mind

Dirtrunner35
03-08-2012, 08:02 PM
I agree, that's why I said it depends on the rest of the set up, next time I'll post more info.

Hagen14t
03-09-2012, 11:36 PM
I talked to scotty about the ride heights and everything and got it right where it should be with springs and ride heights all the way around. But it got to be too late tonight, and i couldnt call him back about a potential problem that i think i might have. The guy i bought this car from put front upper shock mounts on it, and when the car is sitting at ride height it only has about 3-3.5 inches of shock shaft showing. Would like to try and work on it this weekend or else i would wait until monday to call, just wondering if 3-3.5 inches is enough travel? Pretty high banked tracks with a 650 in the LF and 600 in the RF. All help is appreciated.

Dirtrunner35
03-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Myself I would want a little more, I get 2-3 inches of travel on my mod.

oldtrackchamp4x
03-10-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm getting 5 plus inches of travel, but i'm running softer springs.

powerslide
03-10-2012, 11:01 PM
I talked to scotty about the ride heights and everything and got it right where it should be with springs and ride heights all the way around. But it got to be too late tonight, and i couldnt call him back about a potential problem that i think i might have. The guy i bought this car from put front upper shock mounts on it, and when the car is sitting at ride height it only has about 3-3.5 inches of shock shaft showing. Would like to try and work on it this weekend or else i would wait until monday to call, just wondering if 3-3.5 inches is enough travel? Pretty high banked tracks with a 650 in the LF and 600 in the RF. All help is appreciated.

both sides have that amount of in travel before bottoming out? if that is the case i think the LF would be ok but the RF would potential be a problem. The LF doesnt really compress much just need as much extension as possible

Hagen14t
03-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Yes both sides are like that. And i agree i think the LF should be okay and maybe even beneficial like that. I think ill talk to a fab guy in town here who is great with this kind of stuff. Thanks for all of the help.