PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Speedway Rescheduleds Shamrock For April 7th

SASPR
03-07-2012, 11:02 AM
SOUTHERN ALL STAR DIRT RACING SERIES PR #5

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM MANAGEMENT OF CLEVELAND SPEEDWAY

CLEVELAND, TN--Due to the frantic task of getting Cleveland Speedway prepared to host the Shamrock Southern All-Star race this weekend, the new management would like to announce the following.

We have rescheduled the race for Saturday, April 7th.

It is our sincere belief it would be unfair to the race fans of Cleveland, the fans of Southern All-Stars and to the many drivers to hastily try to race on a facility that is not ready. We apologize to anyone this has inconvenienced.

We have commitments from many national race teams, the Southern All-Stars, plus many local drivers to attend this event. We ask for everyone across the region to come and make this the best Shamrock ever!

For more information visit www.southernallstarsracingseries.com

Superman_Racing
03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Was looking forward to finally seeing a good race this weekend but I guess we will have to wait. Only problem is being scheduled April 7th its the same night as the SRRS at Sugar Creek Raceway in Blue Ridge, Ga which will be the first race back in action at this great facility so I will have to decide where to go.

upaginit in North GA
03-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Do not forget Boyd's this Friday night, 5K to win SLM. Hopefully the "R" will not change the plans. They always have a great show, it moves right along too, not much downtime.

Superman_Racing
03-07-2012, 03:33 PM
I was thinking about it. I made my first trip there earlier this year for the Cabin Fever its a neat fast little track I picked the wrong time for my 1st trip as the action wasnt great that day but it was to be expected since it was a day race. I have heard about lots of good races there though so I hope to give it another go maybe Friday we will see.

Dirtfather
03-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Tri-County.Sugar Creek, and Cleveland all have big money races scheduled for that weekend

What if:

Tri-County ran on Thursday Night $2000 to win unsanctioned

Sugar Creek on Friday Night $3000 S.R.R.S

Cleveland on Saturday Night $10,000 SAS

3 races 3 nights all within a 2 hour driving distance of each other, that way drivers and fans dont have to choose between Sugar Creek and Cleveland and can go to both races and go to tri -county on thursday as a bonus

this could be a great example of tracks and series working together to put on great shows for the fans

JMO

B_K
03-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Sucks for the creek, their race has been scheduled for a while now.

Who all exactly is running cleveland?

105mph
03-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Dirtfather...that would be cool...I'd like to see that...not sure how the tornado that hit Murphy.nc last week will effect tri-county...kinda rough on the community...and yes I agree that sugar creek has been on the schedule for a while...its not their fault that cleveland is having many issues trying to get started...I hope people will support sugar creek...that's also Easter weekend so fans don't want to be out all night either... Jmo..

badacefaist19
03-07-2012, 11:20 PM
it definitely hurts sugar creek with cleveland rescheduling over them, i was planning on making my first trip until this. thanks alot cleveland

js6859
03-08-2012, 07:03 AM
Who is The Manegement at Cleveland? Not a good way to start, The Creek will do O.K., but this does hurt. JMO

upaginit in North GA
03-08-2012, 04:59 PM
According to the article on DOD, one of the former co-owners (MM) is out.

It helps to have the facility prepared, if you actually attempt to prepare it... No one has been around all winter. Cleveland Speedway looks like a ghost town. The grader, water truck, packer truck, broken bleachers, etc., is still in the same position it's been in all winter long. I find it impossible to believe that they just realized on Wednesday before the race weekend that they would not be prepared. From what I've heard, the new management is the old management, so I can understand their confussion. I grew up there and have so many awesome memories of the old Cleveland Speedway. It pains me so to watch it get flushed down the crapper by the new(OLD) management.

titbaby115
03-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Like i said its Ronnie Willkomm.

acetone
03-09-2012, 03:55 AM
It helps to have the facility prepared, if you actually attempt to prepare it... No one has been around all winter. Cleveland Speedway looks like a ghost town. The grader, water truck, packer truck, broken bleachers, etc., is still in the same position it's been in all winter long. I find it impossible to believe that they just realized on Wednesday before the race weekend that they would not be prepared. From what I've heard, the new management is the old management, so I can understand their confussion. I grew up there and have so many awesome memories of the old Cleveland Speedway. It pains me so to watch it get flushed down the crapper by the new(OLD) management.probaly could not work on track while tied up in court

babybird1972
03-09-2012, 04:19 AM
From what I heard one of the reasons they couldn't open is because of the fact that most of the front pit gate is down. Some juveniles tried to steal the wrecker and took out most of it. This just happened within the past week so it didn't leave them too much time to get it fixed.

Deek4RJ5
03-09-2012, 04:15 PM
boyd's speedway was scheduled to have a sas race tonight and they have been working on the race track week after week... I don't know anything about gates, but that didn't have anything to do with not repairing the broken and brittle boards all over the grandstands or attempting to somewhat grade the track. And from what i understand, they made arrangements through the bankruptcy months ago to be able to race this year. I've known ronnie a long time and wish him the best and hope that things work out. I'm sure it's going to be tough on him juggling 2 businesses. He needs someone at the race track or a partner, that he can depend on. Unfortunetely he has't had it. It has hurt to see cleveland run down and i'm tired of the excuses. Joe lee worked there pretty much 365 to be able to race, not just when he needed the cash to go buy a bunch of personal equipment. Praying for cleveland!!!

Ditto !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ga racer
03-10-2012, 04:04 PM
not sure who told you the gate was just tore down last week, but that happened about 6 weeks ago.

acetone
03-11-2012, 10:07 PM
ga reacer,
You know that 6 weeks isn't enough time to repair a gate. That is funny... Just another example of all the excuses. If they do have this show in April, I would be scared to death as a racer of getting paid. SAS needs to make sure the $$$ is there before they show up. I hate to say that, but we have raced at tracks that at the end of the night didn't have the funds to pay and wanted to cut the purse or even worse. Good luck to Cleveland and all involved.

hater who has no clue

babybird1972
03-12-2012, 02:25 AM
not sure who told you the gate was just tore down last week, but that happened about 6 weeks ago.

Mmmm... Don't think so. I live in Cleveland and go by the track several times a week to see if anything is going on.

babybird1972
03-12-2012, 02:32 AM
Boyd's Speedway was scheduled to have a SAS race tonight and they have been working on the race track week after week... I don't know anything about gates, but that didn't have anything to do with not repairing the broken and brittle boards all over the grandstands or attempting to somewhat grade the track. And from what I understand, they made arrangements through the bankruptcy months ago to be able to race this year. I've known Ronnie a long time and wish him the best and hope that things work out. I'm sure it's going to be tough on him juggling 2 businesses. He needs someone at the race track or a partner, that he can depend on. Unfortunetely he has't had it. It has hurt to see Cleveland run down and I'm tired of the excuses. Joe Lee worked there pretty much 365 to be able to race, not just when he needed the cash to go buy a bunch of personal equipment. Praying for Cleveland!!!

It was not a SAS race, it was a non sanctioned event following SRRS rules. Just to let you know those broken and brittle boards have been there for a long time and should have been fixed before this past off season.

ga racer
03-12-2012, 08:26 PM
put your money where your mouth is on how long the gate has been down.

babybird1972
03-12-2012, 11:39 PM
put your money where your mouth is on how long the gate has been down.

Not long at all. How often to you drive by Cleveland Speedway?

babybird1972
03-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Hater that has more of a clue than you can possibly imagine... I "HATE" to see one of my favorite places in the world go down in flames. Who would of ever thought that after Butch Boyd all but ran Boyd's into oblivion, that race track would be in better shape than Cleveland. Nothing should surprise me though after what happened to Atomic, which was the raciest places around. And SAS, SSRS, Lucus Oil, WoO, or whatever the sanctioning body, from what I've heard, they were ready to race.

Hater

Who was ready to race? Boyds? Cleveland?

acetone
03-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Hater that has more of a clue than you can possibly imagine... I "HATE" to see one of my favorite places in the world go down in flames. Who would of ever thought that after Butch Boyd all but ran Boyd's into oblivion, that race track would be in better shape than Cleveland. Nothing should surprise me though after what happened to Atomic, which was the raciest places around. And SAS, SSRS, Lucus Oil, WoO, or whatever the sanctioning body, from what I've heard, they were ready to race.

Haternow ive been around for awhile. been to a lot of tracks. been to atomic a million times. were you there for the three hundred lapper? ndra, havatampa, see ken phillips, bud lunsford kennimer, all the drivers in that era. ever go to ellajay ga. to the races> who are they when you say ready to race. cleveland had not been touched all year until court was figured out. if the had raced we would be hearing how run down it is and ect. not wanting to argue, just want some racing action to happen. a lot of work is going on at cleveland now. cant wait till april

B_K
03-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Simple question, if I go to Cleveland, does Month Morrow benefit in any way under this new deal?

skinnyracer39
03-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Simple question, if I go to Cleveland, does Month Morrow benefit in any way under this new deal?

Not sure who's in charge at that track ,yet.

babybird1972
03-13-2012, 08:52 PM

From what I have heard he is outta there and I'm glad. He treated most of the drivers like poo and pi$$Ed a lot of them off. Hoping now there will be lots of drivers show up.

babybird1972
03-13-2012, 08:54 PM
I went by there today. The old wrecker is gone, but the fence is still down. There is though a Play Day scheduled for March 31 on the sign out front. :)

acetone
03-14-2012, 03:51 AM
charlie hughs led every lap of three hundred lapper. he was so tired didnt want to get out of car. what is your name if i might ask. might remember you racing. miss the open trailer days. used to race mx. chatt mx next to boyds would flood all the time.

GRT32
03-14-2012, 07:03 PM
they are working hard , it takes time to do what needs to be done, it took 7 years to get it in the shape its in and there is no way it can be fixed in a month, give them a chance, i guarantee you we have a promoter now that you can talk to and appreciates your business.

skinnyracer39
03-14-2012, 08:16 PM
charlie hughs led every lap of three hundred lapper. he was so tired didnt want to get out of car. what is your name if i might ask. might remember you racing. miss the open trailer days. used to race mx. chatt mx next to boyds would flood all the time.

just wondering if i read this right ?

babybird1972
03-15-2012, 01:59 AM
From what I have Ronnie is running it and with help from the Elliotts is in the process of cleaning it up and fixing the bleachers. I went by there again on Wednesday and noticed a large blue dumpster filled to the top sitting where the front pit gate was. It wasn't there Tuesday, so it looks like they are cleaning things up and getting ready.

Rasler900
03-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Okay, Time to clear the air. I know Monty Morrow personally and all of this garbage talking about him has to stop. He put money, sweat, and tears into that place. Brought his family into debt, and you people complain. YOU aren't the one who lost your butt after a poor attendance. You people claim that the seats were terrible, well nobody saw you out there helping to fix them. Monty wasn't a bad person, but the guy who "owned" it was a douchebag. He NEVER put any sweat, blood, or money into that track. Just to show up and take the earnings. Monty just got tired of being mistreated and finally said screw it, and let him take the plunge. Kudos to you Monty.

babybird1972
03-29-2012, 02:16 AM
First of all, I never saw anyone out there fixing them to help them out. I would have gladly have given someone money to fix those seats, so I wouldnt have had to worry about myself, family and friends. Honestly though, how much do those boards cost? They would have gotten a discount by buying in bulk.

Secondly, I know for a fact that someone offered to buy new American flags to replace the ones on top of the scoring tower. The ones up there were in deplorable shape and what a disgrace to our country to have something like that for everyone to see.

His family was in debt I'm sure also due to the fact of $40,000+ SUV they drove. Gee, just think what 1/2 of that money could have done for that track.

Monty got in the shape he was in by not paying his bills. He couldn't pay his bills because he couldn't get the fans in. You know why? He couldn't get the drivers because he treated them bad and some of them wouldn't come back. Not my personal opinion, but that came straight from some of the drivers mouths. No drivers, no fans equals no money, pure and simple. I heard him with my own 2 ears make the comment, "if you're nice to them they'll come back" when someone mentioned they would have gladly come and cooked breakfast for the drivers that got there early in the morning for the 2010 Shamrock. This person who offered is a good friend of mine and after going by the track about 9:30 that morning and seeing drivers there had my husband and I take her to Walmart. There she purchased 4 or 5 dozens of donuts and several gallons of orange juice. When we went back to the track those guys were so appreciative and remember her gesture of kindness today.

Sounds like you don't know him too well or you would know his personality was his downfall.

Just curious, what money has he put into it? Nothing has been fixed for years until now.