PDA

View Full Version : Ball joint holder question?

wrench1
03-09-2012, 12:46 PM
When using a upper ball joint holder such as afco or outpace is it better to use the clevis on the front or the back or does it matter?

dirttrackrocker
03-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Clevis goes in the back....

washeduptoo
03-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Clevis doesn't always go to the back, our last 3 chevelle clip cars had clevis to the front. It depends upon the builder. Good luck.

dirttrackrocker
03-09-2012, 03:03 PM
I guess if the builder wants to put it on backwards they can, but, when I bought mine, they came with instructions that said the clevis went on the back. Not sure that it matters, or if it does why, but thats what the instructions said...

blknblumod
03-16-2012, 11:57 PM
On most cars you will gain substantial shock clearance if you put the clevis torwards the front. All the chassis knows is mounting points. The two heim locations and the pivot axis of the upper ball joint in this situation. The way in which you join these three locations doesnt really matter except for things like making sure your a arm doesnt interfere with the shock body, which as I said earlier on every car I've checked there is a large gain in clearance when you put clevis forward. Maybe the company that says put clevis rearward knows youll bend shocks, clevises, and ball joint collar assemblies ??? They just want to sell you more parts!!!!!!!

smirk
03-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Put welded a frames on your car and you will save a ton of money on front end parts and dnfs. The only thing that style of upper is good for is the parts salesman...

joeltjen
03-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Put welded a frames on your car and you will save a ton of money on front end parts and dnfs. The only thing that style of upper is good for is the parts salesman...

i've been running this type (clevis) of a-frame for 15 years and never had a DNF because of them. gotta do a bolt check once in a while! also' if ya do get in an accident and break something its usually just the clevis or a heim joint, WAY cheaper than a whole a-frame. plus they're way easier to set caster- camber with!

smirk
03-21-2012, 09:36 PM
It does help to get a good moly swedge tube but break a clevis or bolt rod end etc...takes out the shock usually lower ball joint bends tie rods etc. The welded uppers will save money in the long run

smirk
03-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Their issues have nothing to do w bolt checks. Usually touching tires w something