PDA

View Full Version : Metric spindles w/ pinto rotors?

jsf74
03-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Will pinto rotors fit my metric spindles?

racin6mod
03-14-2012, 07:03 PM
NO they take a metric rotor casting and machine it down to fit the pinto spindle(hybrid rotor)

jsf74
03-14-2012, 07:16 PM
So if I get the hybrid rotors from speedway all my brake hardware and misc will bolt right up?

blknblumod
03-14-2012, 11:58 PM
No, if you have metric spindles you must use metric rotors. You only get the option of using standard or hybrid rotors if you have Ford (grenada or pinto) spindles..

dirttrackrocker
03-15-2012, 08:50 AM
Not sure why you are asking? Never heard of anyone wanting to do this. Most use a pinto spindle and the lighter smaller hybrid/metric rotor. Metric spindles are heavier, weaker and will throw your roll centers way off.

racin6mod
03-16-2012, 06:22 PM
No, if you have metric spindles you must use metric rotors. You only get the option of using standard or hybrid rotors if you have Ford (grenada or pinto) spindles..

even with pinto spindle you would have to get new brake calipar brackets to run the hybrid rotor.the granada rotor is a bigger diameter.as posted above if you have metric spindles your going to have to use parts made for those spindles.

powerslide
03-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Not sure why you are asking? Never heard of anyone wanting to do this. Most use a pinto spindle and the lighter smaller hybrid/metric rotor. Metric spindles are heavier, weaker and will throw your roll centers way off.

Not true, if his car was designed around a metric then it will still be where it was designed. But like others have pointed out the metric rotor is lighter than the granada so i would get what it was designed for.

jsf74
03-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Yes the issue I was having is the car was designed around the metric spindles and was a very good car with that setup. When I bought the car it had pinto stuff on it. After talking to the original he said the pinto stuff won't change the front geometry enough to matter. Guess I'll see soon.

junebug
03-22-2012, 01:21 PM
there is only 1/8 different in the spindle heights and the pin location is exactly same spot....i wouldnt worry about roll center geometry.....now bumpsteer and ackerman is another story....the steering arms are way different but it may work with the pintos just fine.....just make sure u check bump steer....dont just try to use same spacers from the metric stuff....it will be way off

jsf74
03-22-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm going to stick with the pinto stuff I guess. I should be pretty close setup wise so i guess well give it a shot.

joeltjen
03-22-2012, 09:51 PM
there is only 1/8 different in the spindle heights and the pin location is exactly same spot....i wouldnt worry about roll center geometry.....now bumpsteer and ackerman is another story....the steering arms are way different but it may work with the pintos just fine.....just make sure u check bump steer....dont just try to use same spacers from the metric stuff....it will be way off

you wouldn't happen to know what the steering arm legnth on a pinto spindel is??? (center of lower balljoint to center of tie rod end) thanks, john

junebug
04-11-2012, 05:40 PM
5 1/8" sorry it took so long to reply

dirtracer-1
04-11-2012, 07:58 PM
this might sound crazy but on metric front end use a camaro spindle on left and a metric spindle on the right pin hights r different and when u turn the car it will case weight to go from left to right. also u can usr a pinto rotor on a metric or a camaro spindle with the right bearings.