PDA

View Full Version : GM steering box with 1-1/8 output shaft

LFMotorsports
03-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Does anyone have a stock or part # for a GM steering box that is ~2.5 lock-to-lock that uses the 1-1/8 output shaft? This is on a chevelle clip car and the idler shaft has the tapper hole on the opposite end of the spline of the idler. Not a ball joint on that end.

Hope not having to replace the whole assembly just to change the steering box.

LFMotorsports
03-18-2012, 11:40 PM
the 1-1/8" spline is on the pitman arm.... I called it the idler arm. I did find that this box is a "605" box and maybe a little smaller than the others. I found that I can buy a new pitman arm that may solve the issues.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Dirtrunner35
03-19-2012, 09:15 PM
sg16561, this is a advance auto part number for a 2.5 lock to lock, not sure about the output shaft size

LFMotorsports
03-30-2012, 01:12 PM
sg16561, this is a advance auto part number for a 2.5 lock to lock, not sure about the output shaft size

What I found is the GM 605 box has a part# 6531 with prefixes depending where its bought and who remanufactured it. This box has the ring clip on top, not the 4 bolts that hold the cover in place. So ordering thru a parts store, I told them its off a 1980 Chevy Malibu with a 350 v-8 engine. But you have to make sure it has the ring clip, not 4-bolts.

The BAD: it is a 16:1 ratio so its not that quick compared to the 800 series boxes (12.7:1). I would have to change pitman arms, idler, and drag link to make the other style box work.. Not wanting to go through that much effort.

Hope this helps someone out there out.

tworrick
03-30-2012, 04:02 PM
what does the 800 series fit .? i really like to change mine to 12:1 do you have part number?

stock car driver
03-30-2012, 04:40 PM
What I found is the GM 605 box has a part# 6531 with prefixes depending where its bought and who remanufactured it. This box has the ring clip on top, not the 4 bolts that hold the cover in place. So ordering thru a parts store, I told them its off a 1980 Chevy Malibu with a 350 v-8 engine. But you have to make sure it has the ring clip, not 4-bolts.

The BAD: it is a 16:1 ratio so its not that quick compared to the 800 series boxes (12.7:1). I would have to change pitman arms, idler, and drag link to make the other style box work.. Not wanting to go through that much effort.

Hope this helps someone out there out.

605 boxes are lighter and also much weaker, make sure you have a spare they often lock up after a decent tire bang...

800 box to me is worth the extra weight for the reliability. To change you would just need to change your box and pitman arm I believe. I run metric cars and the centerlink idler etc are the same for 605 and 800 box.

LFMotorsports
04-09-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm pretty sure the 800 series boxes use a larger pitman arm that has the ball joint installed in it. Meaning the idler arm has a tapered hole. With that set-up, the 605 box has a smaller ID on the box side of the pitman arm and has a taped hole in the other end.

They may not have to match but the parts don't interchange. If you want to change to a faster box, look at the full set-up (pitman arm, idler arm, and idler shaft). Thats all I'm saying, it may not be a simple "buy another box and run with it" type deal.

I have a chevelle clip car, with only 3 mounting points for the steering box. This may be the difference.