PDA

View Full Version : leaf spring help

motorsports12
03-17-2012, 08:23 PM
what would flipping the leaf spring around (front for the back) do for the spring rating?

here is my situation - the car i have when i bought it has the leafs in backwards (i think this was a fast boy set up at one time) - i have bought new springs for the car and was originally going to redo all the mounts front and back and all the mounts on the rearend so that the leafs would be mounted correctly - running out of time i held one of the new leaf springs up to the old one in the reverse position just like what is on the car and it matches up - so it appears i can just drop the old ones off and remount the new ones in reverse/backwards - the problem is this puts the longer (or weaker) part of the pring in the front - but what does it do to the spring rate

last year the car handled good - i have people tell me that the car squats in the rear when i am on the gas hard which makes sense how the leafs are mounted - i would like to get the new leafs on the car just because i think the old ones are wore out - whats everyones opinion

dirty white boy
03-17-2012, 09:24 PM
turning springs around at fast boys,fast boys rebuild the hole spring pack an slides some of the lower leafs forward to stringthin the front part of spring to reduce warp up,... you said it drove good,but was it fast? dont see it changing spring rate much spring dont know witch way is forward,..but how it effects an reacts to the other forces implyed on rear end theres no telling,..id say your in uncharted waters with the set up but you might find sumptin there no one else has...