PDA

View Full Version : Pinion Angle

moosie34
03-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Alright I have an 07 pierce, and im trying to set the pinion angle but I cant seem to find a good way to do or or know how to. Does anyone have a guide or anything like that?

MasterSbilt_Racer
03-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Is your problem in measuring it or adjusting it?

sj valley dave
03-20-2012, 11:33 PM
I've always heard down 5-6 degrees...How are supposed to measure...I heard now that you take the down driveline and the difference between the two..I'm a little confused myself..

moosie34
03-21-2012, 01:26 PM
How do you messure it, adjust it, where to messure it. And should the car be on stands when you do it?

dirty white boy
03-22-2012, 03:38 AM
suspension needs to be at ride height,..angle of yoke an angle of shaft added together is your total pinion angle...now the trick question is what angle do you need with suspension an set up your using....good luck...

restad4r
03-22-2012, 08:17 AM
Although I agree measuring both the driveline and pinion is the correct way to measure pinion angle I called rocket and they said to just measure the pinion not add both together on there cars, so I would check with your chassis builder.

MasterSbilt_Racer
03-22-2012, 08:33 AM
Although I agree measuring both the driveline and pinion is the correct way to measure pinion angle I called rocket and they said to just measure the pinion not add both together on there cars, so I would check with your chassis builder.

The idea is to get it set right no matter how you measure it. In 99% of situations, you can ignore the driveshaft, set the pinion at 6 to 7 degrees and go racing.

FlatTire
03-22-2012, 09:33 AM
I believe most chassis builders just tell you to measure the angle of the pinion plate. We're not actually measuring driveline angle which would include pinion and shaft.

hpmaster
03-22-2012, 09:39 AM
The PROPER way is to have the car at ride height and get the angle of the drive shaft and ADD it to the angle of the pinion plate for the total angle, 7 degrees or what ever the bulider wants. There are several other threads on this same thing here. This method is from the Spicer manuals and was on the Spicer web site. Bob Boles book also uses this method and a search of GOOGLE finds that this is the most often stated method. Like everything else everyone has an opinion all I know in over 35 years of racing this is what I have done and never lost a u joint or drive shaft. JMHO

MasterSbilt_Racer
03-22-2012, 10:20 AM
The PROPER way is to have the car at ride height and get the angle of the drive shaft and ADD it to the angle of the pinion plate for the total angle, 7 degrees or what ever the bulider wants. There are several other threads on this same thing here. This method is from the Spicer manuals and was on the Spicer web site. Bob Boles book also uses this method and a search of GOOGLE finds that this is the most often stated method. Like everything else everyone has an opinion all I know in over 35 years of racing this is what I have done and never lost a u joint or drive shaft. JMHO

I agree, but if you measure both angles, then it will work for any chassis. The builder is not needed. The builder can give you a measurement for just the rear because he knows the rest for his chassis.

Dirtrunner35
03-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Go watch some pinion angle videos and then ask where you set it ,lol. If you are not to let your drive shaft go past 0 degrees you would have to be 15 degrees down. On my old car I set it at 7 pinion only and never had any problems for 12 years.

swrracing99
03-22-2012, 11:04 PM
i can tell you on a 06 blue front rocket with engine up 1" you will have about 15 degrees total pinion angle setting it how rocket tells you to set it. jack up the left rear and see how hard your tire is to turn. Then set it with both angles driveshaft\yoke and see the difference. The only way you will go past zero on pinion angle is if the 5th coil shock comes off or your getting about 6" of travel which i doubt you are. Also if you check the pinion angle in the pits and the ground isnt level then your pinion angle isnt going to be right, but by measuring yoke and driveshaft angles it wouldnt matter if the car was level or not.

moosie34
03-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Ok, so what i got from this is to check the angle of the jbar mount. Have the car on the ground. I also dont understand whu you would need the angle of the drive shaft considering you cant change the angle of it unless you change the angle of the rear end. Correct?

swrracing99
03-23-2012, 10:25 PM
If you change the engine hieght the drive shaft angle would change. So if you set the pinion angle off of just the rear end, when you go from a all aluminum motor vs all steel motor you could move the engine 1"-2" possible, so that would change the driveshaft angle.