PDA

View Full Version : msd/ timing help please????????

widcard22
03-21-2012, 09:41 PM
First off...msd dis. 6al box .........My engine will not start when i have timing in it.....I have to back it down then start it...an give it fuel till i crank the timing back in it. when i set the timing it runs perfect. revs quick and sounds good......shut it off and its like the ign. switch is turned off an it trys to hit every once in a while......will not start till i take the timing out..... I have even tried the cranking then throw the ign switch and still nuthing....i'm totaly lost ...Thanks in advance......

9modified
03-21-2012, 10:05 PM
I would check your wires to the dist / plug or broke wire from 6AL. Sounds like there not making good connection, and when you turn the dist it starts making better connection. Msd is sensitive to have a good ground.

TeamGRT12x
03-22-2012, 12:02 AM
Have you tried to give it more gas before firing off. Sometimes engines are just dry by nature.

widcard22
03-22-2012, 11:13 AM
I have shook the wires....ran ground wires to box and engine. Still the same will not start til I take some timeing out .....when it starts it doesn't take fuel and blue flames out the headers. Then I just crank the dis. Around alittle.....advanceing the timeing and its perfect....

JustAddDirt
03-22-2012, 12:00 PM
what happens if you crank the engine over, then hit the ignition switch?

widcard22
03-22-2012, 12:49 PM
It cranks over and will it every now and again when it does the motor just about stops cranking.

JustAddDirt
03-22-2012, 02:31 PM
What size battery cable you have?
Ford Soilenoid in system?
is it a reverse mount starter bellhousing?

wandering if you have a dead cell in battery, or to small of a battery supply cable.
Had that problem, last 2 years, switched to a 16v battery setup. and WOW, motor barly turns over and it is running.

xxxmod
03-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Sounds like you have a weak starter,weak battery or to small of a cable from the battery to starter( not smaller than 2AWG)
All of these items need to be in great working order to start a high compression and locked out distributers.

brad hibbard
03-22-2012, 07:39 PM
I usually don't look at anything except the crate topics but this caught my eye.

we have seen msd systems wired incorrectly and cause all kinds of weird conditions

it is very common for the pick up wires to be reversed

if your advance curve is locked out this is very easy to check for

1st) align your set timing marks (example 32 degrees)

then remove the cap and verify that the rotor is pointing at the #1 or #6 terminal of the dist cap

(it could be either depending on the stroke the crank is on)

if the rotor is pointing in between terminals then the wires are swaped

simply reverse the pick up wires ---RESET TIMING and all should be fine

If you are running an advance curve ---Rotor phasing will be a little more difficult to check but if you are running advance then I have whole differnt group of suggestions before you look at rotor phasing

give me a call if you have any questions

Brad
www.race-1.com

widcard22
03-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Ok It is a rev. mount new starter with a ford switch. I think its deff. alocked dis. as for wire size i think its a number 4 it was an allstar kit i think. 12volt optima bat. I will look at the dis. wires tomarrow. .... What does everyone think about useing an msd starter saver to retard the timeing for startup?

I just can't see why i can retard the timimng and it fires up straight off..{ But ya have to hold the fuel above idle and it blue flames out of both headers] advanced the dis. around and it runs perfect no coughs idles perfect revs the whole nine yards sounds strong

brad hibbard
03-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Ok It is a rev. mount new starter with a ford switch. I think its deff. alocked dis. as for wire size i think its a number 4 it was an allstar kit i think. 12volt optima bat. I will look at the dis. wires tomarrow. .... What does everyone think about useing an msd starter saver to retard the timeing for startup?

I just can't see why i can retard the timimng and it fires up straight off..{ But ya have to hold the fuel above idle and it blue flames out of both headers] advanced the dis. around and it runs perfect no coughs idles perfect revs the whole nine yards sounds strong

give me a call
Brad
330-540-7223

widcard22
03-23-2012, 11:13 AM
First off car is fixed......... Then next thing is Brad you were 110% correct and spot on....The plug on my dis. was backwards..... Many Many Many THANKS!!!!!!...... Was pulling my hair out an confused . Thanks again

Also thanks to all who posted. thats what i like about this board racers helping racers....

brad hibbard
03-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Glad it worked out

I learned this a very expensive way

Fresh all aluminum 430 from Draime just off the dyno (no reason to check timing right?) WRONG

I was unfortunate enough to have a great starter and a great battery (car started right up)

left about 25 or 30 grand on the front straight away of our local track in 5 laps

not something you soon forget and if I can help anyone to not make the same mistake it makes my day!!!

good luck in 2012
Brad
www.race-1.com