PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cells worth the price?

jcr51
03-23-2012, 06:26 AM
we have a brand new smackdown. Now Were trying to figure out what fuel cell to buy? Were thinking about either a BWRC Fuel Cell or the Mastersbilt Triangle Cell. Maybe just a tear drop? Or should i just save my money buy some tires and stick in this old JAZ 32 gal cell i got here? opinions please!!

MasterSbilt_Racer
03-23-2012, 08:36 AM
we have a brand new smackdown. Now Were trying to figure out what fuel cell to buy? Were thinking about either a BWRC Fuel Cell or the Mastersbilt Triangle Cell. Maybe just a tear drop? Or should i just save my money buy some tires and stick in this old JAZ 32 gal cell i got here? opinions please!!

How many laps are you running a night? If 25 or so, save your cash for sure. If 50, that may still be the correct answer, but I don't have enough experience to say for sure.

jcr51
03-23-2012, 10:36 AM
probably 20-30 laps per night.

Egoracing
03-23-2012, 10:59 AM
probably 20-30 laps per night.

Gas or Alcohol?

jcr51
03-23-2012, 11:46 AM
could be both but im thinking gas mostly

joedoozer
03-23-2012, 01:40 PM
I was kicking this idea around at the end of last season. I have a big 32 gallon tear drop under the car, and its huge. It looks like a gas grill under there. It's as wide as the frame rails. I was thinking of going to a smaller cell, because we don't run any races longer than 50 laps, most are 20 or 30. I wanted a smaller cell to be able to move it around if I needed to. But the way it sits in the car now, it doesn't change my bite as fuel burns off. So I decided to stick with it.

grt74
03-23-2012, 07:51 PM
there are reasons for using different fuel cells,handling mostly(moving the weight up and down)but will it make a slow race car faster,not by it self,i guess its all about what your trying to do, jmo
think about it if you have a 32 gallon fuel tank with 8" of fuel or a 22 gallon fuel tank with 8" of fuel how high is the weight of the fuel in the car???

joedoozer
03-23-2012, 09:12 PM
there are reasons for using different fuel cells,handling mostly(moving the weight up and down)but will it make a slow race car faster,not by it self,i guess its all about what your trying to do, jmo
think about it if you have a 32 gallon fuel tank with 8" of fuel or a 22 gallon fuel tank with 8" of fuel how high is the weight of the fuel in the car???

This was my problem. A huge cell with all the weight really low. I was thinking a smaller cell that I could raise up higher. On my car it would have moved the fuel over 12" up. .

Egoracing
03-23-2012, 09:35 PM
This was my problem. A huge cell with all the weight really low. I was thinking a smaller cell that I could raise up higher. On my car it would have moved the fuel over 12" up. .

Not to mention the weight of that fuel hitting the side of the cell. Roll the car onto the scales after bouncing it around and watch the numbers, then think of it happening at racing speed. It can throw hundreds of lbs of weight into the side of the cell. I have seen large tear drop cells that were stuck into their frame because the sides of the metal can were bulged from the fuel slosh.

hpmaster
03-23-2012, 09:38 PM
I run a 16 gal now. I tryed to post pics but no success.

C10
03-23-2012, 10:07 PM
We used one of the super trick cells in an IMCA late and removed it. The car just reacted weird to it and was more stable with the standard cell.. we run 25 laps weekly.

sj valley dave
03-24-2012, 01:05 AM
We run a 16 gallon cell high in the frame on race gas...30-40 lap mains... Can move it as needed

joedoozer
03-24-2012, 06:15 AM
Not to mention the weight of that fuel hitting the side of the cell. Roll the car onto the scales after bouncing it around and watch the numbers, then think of it happening at racing speed. It can throw hundreds of lbs of weight into the side of the cell. I have seen large tear drop cells that were stuck into their frame because the sides of the metal can were bulged from the fuel slosh.

I dont have a sloshing problem. Running a cell without foam or baffles is not only bad for handeling, its also really unsafe.

Egoracing
03-27-2012, 10:16 AM
I dont have a sloshing problem. Running a cell without foam or baffles is not only bad for handeling, its also really unsafe.

You can still see fuel movement in a cell with foam. The larger the cell the more room it has to move. The cell I pulled out was full of foam.

SLM98
03-27-2012, 06:37 PM
The new cell from mastersbilt comes with nothing inside to control fuel slosh. Overpriced for what it is in my book. Anybody run one? Does it do what they claim it does?

rubbinsracin
03-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Want to see an expensive fuel cell get on grt's website and look what they got. $2,200 fuel cell.

cswitch11
05-07-2012, 09:30 PM
I went to an RJS 22 gallon this year. I am going by memory but I think its 9 1/2 tall by 30 long by like 18 wide. Modified the fuel tank (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/fuel_tanks~pop.html) chassis so I could get the cell forward to the rear axle centerline and up as high as I could.

drtrkr244
05-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Its been my experience, theres nothing wrong with using the 32 gal cells.Since the rear weight required is getting less, just be sure to mount the cell as high as possible.Most cars only use 15-20 gals for the short races anyway.

One idea I started using about 5 years ago, involves placing the center of the cell(left to right), in line with the center of gravity.It involves finding the center line of the front suspension and extending that line past the rear bumper.

Once you have the true center found, you can adjust your cell to your left side %.

Ive seen the handling become more consistent, which obviously makes the car easier to drive.

joedoozer
05-08-2012, 09:06 PM
I set my cell in place. And the started putting fuel in 2 gallons at a time. Shifted it left and right until it stopped changing bite. I also made my fuel gauge at the same time.

JustAddDirt
05-17-2012, 11:38 AM
The new cell from mastersbilt comes with nothing inside to control fuel slosh. Overpriced for what it is in my book. Anybody run one? Does it do what they claim it does?

They are using fuel slosh to move fuel forward into right front corner of cell. this will tighten corner entry handling. and add sidebite. (supposed to anyway)

stock car driver
05-17-2012, 04:37 PM
There is this huge misconception that fuel "sloshes" around in the cell. That's ignorant, and an old way of thinking. During race conditions, the fuel is under some form of g-loading at all times. Whether it's turning into the corner or accelerating down the straights, it's not "sloshing" around. It moves fluidly in relation to the g-forces. Run foam, run whiffle balls, run nothing. Your not going to see a difference. The main factor is going to be the placement of the fuel weight, and whether it benefits you to run a smaller cell in order to increase the effective ballast height.

b.s.

foam is for SAFETY, it should be ran in the event you rupture your cell it will help contain the fuel from going every where. The only time to not run foam is if you run alc or something else that will cause the foam to break down.

drop a plastic glass of water on the floor

drop a plastic glass of water on the floor with a sponge in it

If common sense were common I guess everyone would have it.