PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft issues

3dinter
03-24-2012, 01:58 PM
When building the car last year apparently we didn't put the inside snap rings on the 2 Ujoint outside caps that go into the yoke on the reared. Well it lasted all race season last year without the caps coming out but last weekend it finally gave way.
The rear u-joint has all inside snap rings and is held in the yoke by the 2 straps, so I'm putting it together and i put the snap rings on the 2 caps that go into the yoke.
the inside snap rings only go about 3/4 of the way around the caps and the rest is open.
So does the open end of the snap rings go in toward the yoke and the straps mostly hold the caps on.....OR....does the open side of the snap rings go toward the straps and the yoke mostly hold the caps in ??
Looking at the yoke with the cap in place it covers about 3/4 of the cap so I would assume the open end towards the strap, I'm getting about 50/50 on the answer of this here locally.

a1driver
03-24-2012, 05:29 PM
there should be 2 small "tabs" sticking up on the yoke on the rearend that hold the caps tight in the cross shaft. never heard of snap rings on that part of the u joint

3dinter
03-24-2012, 06:46 PM
there should be 2 small "tabs" sticking up on the yoke on the rearend that hold the caps tight in the cross shaft. never heard of snap rings on that part of the u joint

There is no tabs on the yoke, it's all smooth where the cap sits in. I thought about welding like a washer or something on the outside of the straps to help the snap rings hold the caps in place also, just a Lil extra insurance.

Dirtrunner35
03-24-2012, 08:28 PM
I have never heard of that either, I did like you said on a older truck I had once. One of the tabs was gone and welded a washer on the strap against the cap.

a1driver
03-24-2012, 09:34 PM
change the yoke!

SRXSRULE
03-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Is this a ford 9" rear end or a Stock GM? all the 9" have the locating tabs on the yoke, The GM ones do NOT.

Yes its normal for the snap ring to only cover 3/4 of the cap. Rotate the snap ring so the majority of it is going into the rearend yoke. Eric

3dinter
03-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Is this a ford 9" rear end or a Stock GM? all the 9" have the locating tabs on the yoke, The GM ones do NOT.

Yes its normal for the snap ring to only cover 3/4 of the cap. Rotate the snap ring so the majority of it is going into the rearend yoke. Eric

Yes it's all stock, 84 monte 7.5 metric rear yoke and drive shaft, originally came with a v6, wonder if the metric v8 gas/diesels came with a different driveshaft/yoke ?

Driver88
03-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Just put the clips on. It wil be fine.