PDA

View Full Version : using jet fuel

Tlangley
03-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Has anyone used jet fuel mixed down with 93? If so how do you mix it.

perfconn
03-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Jet fuel is kerosene.I assume you really mean aviation fuel which you can run.

joedoozer
03-26-2012, 08:17 AM
But jet fuel sounds so much faster than crop duster fuel.

sj valley dave
03-26-2012, 03:49 PM
That's got the potential to be the next "hot" set up...Then we can talk about the drawbacks/benefits to JP1, JP4, JP5 or JP7...LOL Interestingly enough, JP4 is a 50/50 blend of kerosene and gasoline..LOL

smokey power
03-29-2012, 09:37 AM
just member,jp1/kerosene(K1),is "O"octane/"anti knock compound", & av., gas today is no lead!!! Jet fuel programs are very sophisticated, & jet engines make their own compression pressure,"reason they were invented ", they will burn anything combustible. Smokey

Graff Spee
03-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Next you will want to run Propane ! LOL If you want to play, try using some Propelene oxide! It is an oxegenizer.

dirty white boy
03-29-2012, 11:11 PM
i talked with a few reputable builders this week bout fuel,...none thought much of using AV gas,..one even said if ya cant afford to feed the dawg,..leave it at the pound...

andy16
03-30-2012, 08:57 PM
i ran av gas for the entire season of 2010. i had to replace 16 ti valves beat the hell out of valve seats and wore the rings out in 8 races. i had pan pressure in 8 races w a drysump. was a stupid mistake. if your runing steel valves and steel seats w thick rings maybe can get away with it? i couldn on alum head ber. seat. the gas i ran was avgas100 low lead. the reason i tried it was that i had not that high compression 12 to 1 and it had lead in it and it was 3 dollars a gallon. in the long run would have been better to get the vp. always ran the 112 before and after w no trouble. dont use it man i know its tempting but really itl tear your stuff up.

C10
03-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Andy is 100% correct. It is simply not made for the high heat and ground use of racing.

sj valley dave
03-31-2012, 12:28 AM
AV gas is designed for a very narrow RPM range at altitude...I know that there are "millions" of people that have ran it for years in their race cars...Great..It is NOT designed for race engines..Good luck

Chico
04-14-2012, 11:52 AM
totally agree with No on avgas most of the people that get away with are a low enough comp ratio that 93 would have been beneficial jmo

antidive
04-18-2012, 09:45 PM
100 ll and 110 sonoco are the same thing

sj valley dave
04-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Wrong! Look at the molecular make up of the 2 fuels...jeez

rubbinsracin
04-19-2012, 08:17 AM
totally agree with No on avgas most of the people that get away with are a low enough comp ratio that 93 would have been beneficial jmo

so in say a 602 or 604 you would be better off just running 93? we have been running our car on a mix of 1 gallon av to every 4 gallons 93. we have done this to raise the octane just a bit, to get closer to 95-98 or so. we were told that going up to a 110, which is the only fuel our track provides, would do us no good and we would possibly give up power. is this true?

JustAddDirt
04-19-2012, 09:01 AM
so in say a 602 or 604 you would be better off just running 93? we have been running our car on a mix of 1 gallon av to every 4 gallons 93. we have done this to raise the octane just a bit, to get closer to 95-98 or so. we were told that going up to a 110, which is the only fuel our track provides, would do us no good and we would possibly give up power. is this true?

Yes you would possibly lose some power because you do not have the compression to fire the fuel, correctly. those motors were designed for street use, so a 93-94 octane is all you should need. The 100ll avgas would be tops of the octane level you would need.

sj valley dave
04-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Renegade makes a 98 octane race gas that you could use for a mixed blend...I forgot who, maybe Dynoman14, said that Chevron Supreme was the most consistent of pump gas...

andy16
04-19-2012, 08:57 PM
looking back if i were gonna use it again i would lube it. i would buy a bottle of castor oil and put 5 cap fulls into every 5 gallons. we use that in nitro methane and it works good. cant say for sure what itl do in yours but id put some kinda lube in it.

QuesinberryRacing
04-19-2012, 11:20 PM
I run the 100ll av fuel straight in my crate car, the quality of the fuel is way better than inconsistent pump gas. You don't never know what you're getting at the pump, ethanol and even water! Been on it going on 3 seasons in crate with 0 problems. But I do not run it in my super motors. I use Late Model Plus in those.

Egoracing
04-20-2012, 06:35 AM
Renegade makes a 98 octane race gas that you could use for a mixed blend...I forgot who, maybe Dynoman14, said that Chevron Supreme was the most consistent of pump gas...

Shell gas is most consistent pump to pump and state to state.

sj valley dave
04-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks Ego...I couldn't remember for sure...I was thinking Chevron or Shell...Out here in the west, for years Union Oil, or Union 76 was the gas..LOL...You could still get 93 after the others had long dropped to 92...now the premium is 91 octane..

Chico
04-20-2012, 11:14 PM
We used Marvel mystery oil with ours and as JustAddDirt said you may lose a little but chances are you would never know it insofar as performance and the longevity factor i smuch higher imo

Egoracing
04-21-2012, 06:23 AM
When we stated running crates we were running 4 gal BP pump and 1 gal of 110. We were running good locally and go out of state and it would overheat in 5-10 laps. After research and testing we found the depending on the emission standards of an area the would add oxygenerators to the pump fuel. That is when we found that Shell was the best.

dynoman14
05-03-2012, 02:30 AM
Dave was right, I did a fuel test last summer with about 30 different fuels. My standard for Crates has always been Chevron93 because I had a friend who was a fuel engineer there and he let me in on some of the secrets behind the Chevron additive package and how Techron works. BTW techron loves oxygenates.

Currently Shell is a close second on pump gas HP with it's Nitro-based additives but it will turn colors on a fuel test for Nitro so I don't use it or recommend it. I have not been called wrong in 26 years of racing and don't want it to happen on a count of Shell pump gas. JMO.

I have tested the 2 back to back on my chassis dyno mule and Shell was 447RWHP, Chevron 456RWHP and VP-CHP 471RWHP, although nobody asked e-85 461RWHP with an different carb tuned to E-85.

I used to get pure techron in 5 gallon pails and used it in my Kart fuel = Alcohol. It was an easy HP on 12 and was not a detectable substance in fuel pulls. The stuff you buy in the parts store is only 25% techron and 75% carrier agent, so you can imagine how good the stuff really is.

I know for a fact that Shell has more stations around than Chevron and you would figure Texaco would be the same as Chevron but it is way down like 435RWHP. I still have about 1/2 a drum of Amoco White gas and it was always the best pump gas 461RWHP they still sell a premium but it is not any better than Texaco @ 435RWHP.

I play with a lot of additives and fuel mixtures and although it does not seem possible you can get close to 485RWHP on the same test car as above thru creative fuel blending. it will burn your eyes like MS-109 but about +30HP.

I have sold maybe 30-40 drums to local racers that were amazed at the performance, even had a 602 engine customer in KY win a couple crate races with it as he bought 2 drums with his engine after we tested it in his car against the race fuel he was running it was +38RWHP once we jetted the carb up for the oxygenates and other heavy metal doo-dads in there.

Mike Croley
05-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Chevron and Shell are the gasolines to use for 93 octane . Union 76 also makes a good product but it's a little harder to find in some parts of the country .
Anything av gas can do , racing gasoline can do do much better . For many crate engines , a top quality 93 is all you need . For a little cushion against detonation ,a good mix would be 80/20 93 to 110 race gas . For max output crates , companies like Renegade make an excellent race fuel that will up power and torque . It's more money per gallon , but well worth the extra expense .