PDA

View Full Version : set-up help

nathan12
04-02-2012, 11:55 PM
i have a DW-11 and i need some help with getting the handling right. it does really good in the heat races when the track is pretty tacky but once the track dries out i lose a big part of my side bit and drive off. the track i run on is a semi banked 3/8 mile clay.
my set up is: 4 bar 4 bar
LF. spring rate 650 with a 3/5 bilstein.
RF. spring rate 600 with a 5/3 bilstein.
LR. slider behind and shock in front with a 200lb 16 inch spring and a 9/1 bilstein.
RR. coil over in front with a 200lb 16 inch spring and a 4/4 bilstein.
presents: rear 57.5 left 52.1 and cross is 49.5.
left bottom and right bottom bars are in the middle holes witch is pretty close to straight.
the left top bar is in the fifth hole up and the right is in the forth hole up.

first race of the season the past weekend:
the car ran pretty good in the tacky heat race held its own. we moved the right upper up one hole for the feature and it made the car seem to rotate more from middle to exit on the throttle witch made it so loose couldnt do anything with it.

any advice on what i can do to fix this would be greatly appreciated. if you need more set up information let me kow and i would be happy to share.

Thank you,
Nathan.

washeduptoo
04-03-2012, 07:20 AM
In my experience moving the rrt bar up would make the car loose in the middle(you added some drive), try moving it down a hole from where you had it in heat to see what that does for you. You might try moving the lrt bar up a hole when its slick also. Good luck.

charcoal01
04-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Swap your front shocks. It'll help get the car over on the rf on entry, letting you run a tighter setup. Rear shocks are fine. Like the guy before me said, don't raise your rub, lower it. What's your j bar rake? Come slick feature time you should be about 1 inch below pinion with about 7 inches of rake. At fool droop you should have no more than 45 degrees in your lub. Good luck

oldtrackchamp4x
04-03-2012, 09:51 AM
You didn't say how much LR bite you were running. I would run 70-80 lbs of LR bite. It will loosen entry but will help with drive off. I agree with the other 2 posts. Switch front shocks, lower RR top bar then try car.Don't make more changes than that at one time or you won't know which one helped. If those changes don't help try bite then the others. JMO

joedoozer
04-03-2012, 10:56 AM
I am curious as to why you want to swap the shocks. I believe that Bilstein shocks list their numbers as Rebound/Compression, opposite say an Afco. Are you guys recommending a shock change because you think he is running a 5 compression/3 rebound on the RF?

powerslide
04-03-2012, 03:23 PM
I am curious as to why you want to swap the shocks. I believe that Bilstein shocks list their numbers as Rebound/Compression, opposite say an Afco. Are you guys recommending a shock change because you think he is running a 5 compression/3 rebound on the RF?

agree has listed his shocks incorrectly. bilstein numbers are 40/40 30/50. And as noted above backward from most companies. Rebound is first and Compression is 2nd. Almost every other brand lists compression first and rebound 2nd.

If he listed his shocks correctly he has
RF 5rebound 3comp
LF 3rebound 5comp
LR 9rebound 1comp-obviously this one is listed incorrect and further makes you question the front shocks.

I would go back with it the way you ran the heat and not make any adjustments if the track is the same as the week before.

charcoal01
04-03-2012, 03:43 PM

You're right. I didn't read that correctly. He had the rear as 9-1 and 4-4 so I assumed he was listing compression first. Whatever it is, should be 3c-5r on the rf and the opposite on the left. Sorry for the confusion.

oldtrackchamp4x
04-03-2012, 07:45 PM
(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word), Oops same here.

oldtrackchamp4x
04-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Wow, all i said was dam, but spelled correctly with the n on the end. LOL

nathan12
04-03-2012, 11:52 PM
the j-bar has six inches of rack and is even with the pinion. the LUB at full droop (witch i take to be the whole rear end hanging off the ground) is at 44.5 degrees. and for the LR bite we had 65lbs.

sorry for any confusion about the shocks. we switched to the bilsteins after a couple years of running afcos and still get tripped up in the way they number them.

thank you all for the in put.
Nathan.

charcoal01
04-03-2012, 11:59 PM
the j-bar has six inches of rack and is even with the pinion. the LUB at full droop (witch i take to be the whole rear end hanging off the ground) is at 44.5 degrees. and for the LR bite we had 65lbs.

sorry for any confusion about the shocks. we switched to the bilsteins after a couple years of running afcos and still get tripped up in the way they number them.

thank you all for the in put.
Nathan.

If you have a 3c-5r on the rf and a 5c-3r on the left front, drop your j bar an inch on the pinion side and see what it does. Did you say you're mostly free from center off?

nathan12
04-04-2012, 12:08 AM
yes, middle off on the throttle it seems to start sliding the rear end more and it gets more sideways then i start to lose my drive off the corner.

TeamGRT12x
04-04-2012, 01:26 AM
Drop the right upper one hole. Take rear stagger away, more J bar angle. Just a few ideas. I wouldn't get too crazy, a car that's quick on the tack isn't far off on the slick. Drop the right lower to tighten all the way in and thru the corner.

Personally, I'd drop the right upper and concentrate on driving the car as straight as possible.

charcoal01
04-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Ya, drop the upper one hole on the right with the j bar change. Are your birdcages indexed at all? How much rear steer is in your car? If the bar change doesn't help, let us know.

nathan12
05-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Hey everyone sorry it has taken me so long to get back with you. had a string of ran outs and not being able to get off work.

We followed everyone's advise and lowered the RUB one hole and it seemed to really help the car out. it tightened it up and gave me some of the drive back, still needs more side bite. We haven't messed with the j- bar yet tho.

this weekend the track went dry slick when we were sure it was going to be very heavy. with that just to try something we added a 30 pound weight on top of the LR between the shock mount and the slider mount added one turn to the LR spring and added some fuel. thinking it would add rear percent and wedge. doing all that made the car a little on the tight side toward the end of the feature the car started to pick up a bad push on entry and a little push on the exit.