PDA

View Full Version : whistling Sound

3dinter
04-08-2012, 03:24 AM
A few of the most fastest cars at our track make this whistling sound after they let of the gas and prepare for the turn. Some say "lighten parts, 10" converter "our rules say 11", traction control, etc, etc.
..any ideas ?

sj valley dave
04-08-2012, 01:04 PM
How is light internal parts or a 10" convertor going to create a "whistling" sound?

Milford Motorsports
04-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Possibly gear drive instead of timing chain?Hard to hear under acceleration because of exaust noise.

merc123
04-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Quick change gears maybe? They have more of a whine but maybe if someone can hear it then it sounds like whistle?

3dinter
04-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Quick change gears maybe? They have more of a whine but maybe if someone can hear it then it sounds like whistle?

our rules state " stock rearend that came from same Manufacturer"....ie...99.99% we run metrics mostly, so that limits them to gm 7.5 or gm 8.5.

3dinter
04-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Possibly gear drive instead of timing chain?Hard to hear under acceleration because of exaust noise.

ill try to describe the sound, it sounds like a turbine helicopter starting up or if you ever heard a M1 Army tank starting up or the tractor pulling rigs that run them allison engines. You only hear the sound when they let off the gas and prepare for the corner. Some say they CREATE a vacuum leak or some sorta check valve on the carb to let more air in...i am clueless.

3dinter
04-09-2012, 09:28 AM
How is light internal parts or a 10" convertor going to create a "whistling" sound?

I agree, i am thinking more along the lines of something on or in the motor...sounds just like a turbine engine starting up.

Egoracing
04-09-2012, 01:05 PM
At some tracks late models make a odd noise like that but it is the tires on the track. Maybe they are running tire softeners and it is causing the sound.

3dinter
04-09-2012, 01:41 PM
At some tracks late models make a odd noise like that but it is the tires on the track. Maybe they are running tire softeners and it is causing the sound.

Im unsure, we have to run Asphalt pulloff's, Hoosier 2045 or Hoosier F-40, on 8" rims and non grooved. That would be really weird if tires made that kinda sound, anything is possible...I neither confirm or deny our team ever using a tire softener, but if we did our tires never made a sound like that. Still a mystery..LOL
Only thing i know for a fact the cars running up / winning make that sound.

3dinter
04-09-2012, 01:44 PM

Not trying to sound rude, but your guess is good as mine...Clueless in Ft Worth

billy5
04-09-2012, 09:49 PM
its the fan pulling air thru the radiator and shroud.

3dinter
04-10-2012, 10:54 AM
its the fan pulling air thru the radiator and shroud.

havent thought of that one, my brother thinks its some sorta vacuum into the carb, IE...letting / pushing more air into the carb kinda like a supercharger,,IE more air, more jetting, more fuel, more power..just a lil curious...but i an see what you are saying,,something like when a 18 wheeler when the fan kicks in it makes that sound.

gadirtracer
04-15-2012, 11:39 PM
Bert transmissions make a whinning noise? (usually in low gear though)

3dinter
04-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Bert transmissions make a whinning noise? (usually in low gear though)

Its not a Bert, i can tell the difference. we are not allowed to run any aftermarket trans, stock only. gm with gm, ford with ford, dodge with dodge.

ToddSmith16
04-16-2012, 10:34 AM
see if they're running electrical fans or stock appearing cheater trannies that work like a bert or brinn.

marp
04-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Maybe they're playing head games and have those deer whistles on their cars.

Chico
04-16-2012, 08:39 PM
I think maybe Todd has it

3dinter
04-16-2012, 10:47 PM
see if they're running electrical fans or stock appearing cheater trannies that work like a bert or brinn.

We have to run water pump mounted fans and they go thru tech ech week and I can see the stock fan and I don't know of a stock appearing ie, powerglide, 350 turbo, Saginaw, Muncie, etc that is a cheater tranny like a Bert or brinn..clue me in cause I don't know.

sj valley dave
04-17-2012, 12:14 AM
Just trying to keep it real...I would say, this whistling is not what is making that guy/guys be fast. Just get your engine/chassis set up good and go from there...Smoke and mirrors...

Chico
04-18-2012, 01:26 AM
I agree with Dave my reply was supposed to be tongue in cheek but the little smiley critter didn't come up Sometimes people will do things to distract people so they'll make mistakes I knew a guy who would put those little whirly whistle in his grill sounded just like a gear drive People were so concerned about him cheating they beat themselves They would protest him and he was legal after about a month he fessed up but by then he had bought new tires with their money lol But they learned a valuable lesson weird but true

3dinter
04-18-2012, 01:58 PM
I agree with Dave my reply was supposed to be tongue in cheek but the little smiley critter didn't come up Sometimes people will do things to distract people so they'll make mistakes I knew a guy who would put those little whirly whistle in his grill sounded just like a gear drive People were so concerned about him cheating they beat themselves They would protest him and he was legal after about a month he fessed up but by then he had bought new tires with their money lol But they learned a valuable lesson weird but true

good thought...LOL