PDA

View Full Version : How much water....

Doug_Guilds
04-12-2012, 06:54 PM
does it take to make your oil look milky?

Reason I ask is I pulled the dipstick after warming the car today to find the oil milky. When I drained the oil there doesn't seem to be any more liquid in the pan that there normally is after draining the oil. The engine has sat for a while only being warmed up every few weeks and the weather has been hot and cold days to nights.
Could the amount of condensation generated from warming the engine over the past weeks coupled with the greatly varying temperatures cause the oil to turn milky?
Or should I be looking towards a major problem? When I parked the car last year it didn't have a bit discolor to the oil.

Milford Motorsports
04-12-2012, 08:04 PM
I would guess you have a problem,but I would still put some fresh oil in it and run it for a while.See if the problem comes back.

snsracing18
04-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Im thinking its a head gasket. Anytime I had water in my oil it has been a head gasket. Did u just let it idel when u started it or did u rev it? Cuz even if u only revved it a thousand rpm with it sitting that long it could have blown the gasket.. or the head is warped but I doubt that unless you overheated it last year?

Doug_Guilds
04-13-2012, 07:58 PM
I went ahead and changed the head gasket. I didn't notice to much of a problem, but the gasket I used in the initial build looked to be a cheap one the way it came apart when I took the head off. I used a Felpro this time, which I should have gotten the first time. Oh and the car was never overheated last year. It never got over 190.

Thanks for the feedback guys, that's why I love this place!