PDA

View Full Version : eratic front end

red white&blue
04-15-2012, 09:51 AM
I have bad unpredictable darting in front end of my late model under acceleration and seems to be more on straights than in corners. ya never know which way its gonna take you when you get on it. usually hard right though more than anything. it is a four bar car with sweet power steering servo mounted near firewall. any ideas would be greatly aprreciated before it tries to eat the concrete wall

racin6mod
04-15-2012, 10:01 AM
we had a servo with a twisted shaft once did pretty much the same thing. A slight twist in the shaft and the ports don't line up correctly making the steering very eratic. I also had a simular problem when I first started racing found out from a older racer that my toe was incorrect not enough toe out.

scrub_fan
04-15-2012, 11:11 AM
if you call sweet they have a good tech dept. and will help you trouble shoot plan for a while on the phone with them very detailed

jedclampit
04-15-2012, 11:39 AM
perhaps negative caster, top ball joint should be behind lower,

check for stripped drive flange @ rear axle or spool.

does car dart or does wheel yank out of your hands?maybe make a pass w/o ps belt on

red white&blue
04-15-2012, 12:23 PM
thanks for all the input and ideas guys. i will get busy checking on these things and hopefully find the problem. and yes it does seem to pull the steering wheel. but the drive flange was already in the back of my mind. thanks again for the help

hucktyson
04-15-2012, 01:38 PM
thanks for all the input and ideas guys. i will get busy checking on these things and hopefully find the problem. and yes it does seem to pull the steering wheel. but the drive flange was already in the back of my mind. thanks again for the help

Sweet servos are junk, one bumped wheel and they are done....

m_stagev
04-15-2012, 07:50 PM
sweet servos are fine. if you buy one with a light torsion bar they dont take as hard of hit.

croston71
04-15-2012, 09:04 PM
You have an imbalance between your centrifugal & centrpetal pressures.
CHECK YOUR GUAGES !!!
BI BYE !!!

Graff Spee
04-15-2012, 09:24 PM
You have an imbalance between your centrifugal & centrpetal pressures.
CHECK YOUR GUAGES !!!
BI BYE !!!

This is true! I once had a piece of what looked like O-ring stuck in the servo. Hard to find, but an easy fix in the end!

Kwaz-13
04-15-2012, 11:07 PM
I have bad unpredictable darting in front end of my late model under acceleration

Had very similar symptoms one night, and it had nothing to do with the front end. The cause was a broken torque arm brace. The car seemed fine through the corners, but would drive hard right, toward the wall, when trying to accelerate on the straights. Might be worth a look.