PDA

View Full Version : 8" rim vs 10" rim

3dinter
04-16-2012, 01:57 PM
The tires we run, slick, not grooved/siped, asphalt pulloffs Hoosier 2045 and Hoosier F40 call for a 10" rim on the Hoosier website but our race track rules state we must run them on a 8" rim. After running a 8" rim with these tires i see where we get ALOT of sidewall flex running anywhere from 15 to 8 lbs of pressure and i assume we get more of sidebite "whatever that is" i just hear the term around the track... What advantage would a 10" rim give, if we could use them ?

dillon_94
04-16-2012, 02:09 PM
possibly a little smaller? and the contact patch would be wider on the track with the 10 inch wheel.
the track i race has these tires on 3 classes mini trucks mostly on 8 inch wheels and the seem to be a little taller and more rounded, the sportsman are on 10 inch wheels and look normal and the supersports (late models) have them on like 12 inch wide 5s and they look way wider even compared to a 10 inch wheel

3dinter
04-16-2012, 02:58 PM
If i remember CORRECTLY we are getting about 86" to 86.5" roundness per tire with a 8" rim.
So would you agree these tires on a 10" rim would get a lil bigger contact patch...ie...maybe to get more traction due to the bigger contact patch, with all things considered.

dillon_94
04-16-2012, 11:41 PM
yes the contact patch wold be wider on a wider wheel

3dinter
04-17-2012, 09:05 AM
yes the contact patch wold be wider on a wider wheel

Is there a big or small difference in the sidewall look / contact patch look of the tire on the 10" rim ?

dillon_94
04-17-2012, 11:18 AM
its something you shouldnt really notice unless you know to look at them

mount a 10 inch and a 8 inch and look at them.

3dinter
04-18-2012, 02:05 PM
its something you shouldnt really notice unless you know to look at them

mount a 10 inch and a 8 inch and look at them.

gonna have to try it, i notice some tires with kinda of a sharp almost 90 degree when it comes off the sidewall and mets the conact patch...then i notice some with a more of a rounder curve from the sidewall to the contact patch. It could be the tries also, i bought a brand new set of hoosiers 2045 and ran them one time recently and my brother noticed with them on the rear of the car without any spacers and with the same offset the r/side tire sidewall was pushed in towards the frame and the l/side tire was pushed out the opposite way, i understand they flex and such while racing but i wouldnt of thought they would stay that way a week later, being brand new tires.

LowTechRacing
04-19-2012, 05:09 PM
How much of a disadvantage would I be at if I ran 8" wheels instead of the 10" wheels? I have a ton of 8" wheels and I run American racer g60's. But the class above me runs 10" take off slicks. Kind of want to run a few of the bigger shows and see how I do.

Egoracing
04-20-2012, 07:20 AM
On a crate late model going from 12 inch to 14 inch wheels made the car more stable and about a second a lap faster running the same tires. This will depend on the track, tires and car setup though.