PDA

View Full Version : Former NeSmith Chevrolet WRS Champ Wins With CT525

crusapr
04-16-2012, 10:51 PM
CARTERSVILLE, GA – The 2008 NeSmith Chevrolet Weekly Racing Series East Region Champion Adam Martin of Talladega, AL has moved up from the Crate Late Model Division at Talladega Short Track in Eastaboga, AL into the Super Late Model Division for 2012 and has found immediate success by staying in the economical Chevrolet Performance Circle Track Engine family.

Martin won the 2008 NeSmith Chevrolet Weekly Racing Series East Region title with a dirt late model powered by a $5,000 Chevrolet Performance 604 Crate Engine, built and sealed at the factory to prevent any expensive modifications.

When the second-generation driver decided to move up into the Super Late Model Division at Talladega Short Track for the 2012 season, Chevrolet Performance had an economical engine to fit the rules, the $7,000 all-aluminum CT525 that is also built and sealed at the factory.

The Chevrolet Performance CT525 Engine is based off the production LS 6.2L Corvette street engine. The engine is stock as it comes in the Corvette except for a change of cam for circle track use and intake manifold to accommodate a carburetor.

Martin has two consecutive wins in the Talladega Short Track Super Late Model Division competing against engines that cost as much as $40,000. Martin said if you gave him $40,000 to buy one of those engines, he wouldn’t take it because he has done more with less using the Chevrolet Performance CT525.

“I drove a car in a practice session with one of those high-dollar 700 horsepower engines and they are easy to get out of control with more horsepower than the track will take,” Martin said. “I have more control of my race car with the economical CT525 and I’m confident that I can run any groove of the race track, go faster with more traction, and stay in control.”

The 28-year-old Super Late Model rookie showed that on April 7 when he took his first Super Late Model career win at Talladega Short Track in just his second race. After starting sixth in the 30-lap feature, Martin methodically worked his way to the front of the pack, took the lead on lap 23, and took the checkered flag with a six car-length advantage over the second-place finisher.

“I ran the first ten laps on the inside groove and moved up to the third spot,” Martin said. “The top two cars were also running the bottom of the track, so I went to the outside and drove by them on the high side with seven laps to go. All I had to do to move up through the field was drive that CT525 in a groove where they weren’t.”

Last Saturday night, Martin got a big break from the fast qualifier, and another CT525 pilot, Adam’s father Ross Martin. In the draw to invert the starting field for the feature race, Ross Martin drew a six, and that put Adam on the pole for the 30-lap feature. Adam led wire-to-wire for his second straight win, and Ross came from sixth to finish third.

“Dad had a good race car and set fast time, and I qualified sixth,” Adam Martin said. “He did me a big favor by drawing a six for the inversion and put me on the pole for the feature. I led all 30 laps and won by a half a straightaway. Dad had a good run, as he got up on the outside in the first half of the race and came from sixth to third which was where he finished.”

The younger Martin said his first win in only his second start in a Super Late Model was unbelievable, but to win two-in-row was even more incredible to him.

“These past couple of weeks have been like a storybook,” Martin said. “I couldn’t believe it when I won the first race two weeks ago, but to win two straight weeks was even more unbelievable. Last Saturday with Dad winning fast time, and then drawing a six to put me on the pole felt like it was just meant to be.”

Ross Martin has run the CT525 in his Super Late Model for the past two seasons in weekly Saturday night competition at Talladega Short Track. So, when it came time for Adam to move up into the division, the CT525 was the natural choice.

“My dad has run his CT525 for two seasons, and all we’ve done to it is change the oil,” Adam Martin said. “If we were running one of those $40,000 engines, it would have had to have three rebuilds in that amount of time which would have cost twice the amount than what you can buy a new CT525 for.”

Not only was the transition from the 604 Crate Late Model to the CT525 Super Late Model an affordable one for Martin, it was an easy one. Martin is running the Super Late Model Division with the same 2005 Barry Wright Chassis he competed with for six years in the Crate Late Model Division.

“We took the 604 out of the car and put the CT525 in without having to make hardly any big changes,” Martin said. “The only thing we had to change was the wiring to accommodate the electronics of the CT525.”

Not only did Martin not have to change much in the engine compartment, but he didn’t have to change anything on the chassis setup of the race car going from the 604 Crate Engine to the CT525.

“The setup on the chassis is the same setup we’ve used with the 604 in the Crate class for the past six years at Talladega Short Track,” Martin said. “The race car handles just as well with the lighter CT525 as it did with heavier 604. When you look at the whole picture, this was an easy and affordable transition from the Crate class to the Super class.”

Both Adam and Ross Martin are already looking to the future for their father-son racing team, as they are looking forward to the June announcement of the new Super Late Model Division for 2013 where the race cars will be powered exclusively by Chevrolet Performance CT525 Sealed Engines.

The new Super Late Model Touring Division will be sanctioned by Crate Racin’ USA, the same sanctioning body for the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Tour and NeSmith Chevrolet Weekly Racing Series for dirt late models powered by the 604 Chevrolet Performance Crate Engine. Crate Racin’ USA will announce the series title sponsor and the 2013 schedule in June.

“Dad and I are really looking forward to running the new series for the CT525 next year,” Martin said. “We’ve always wanted to run a super late model series, but before the CT525 came around, there was no way we could afford to run one car, let alone two. I really think this new CT525 series is going to open a lot of doors for some good racers on low budgets.”

With the CT525 being a sealed engine, the competitors are not allowed to take the engine apart for any reason. Chevrolet Performance will be opening an in-house rebuild center for the CT525 should one need to be rebuilt, repaired, and/or resealed. Should is the operative word in the previous sentence.

National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame Inductee Ronnie Johnson of Chattanooga, TN has been doing the on track Research and Development of the CT525 engine for the past three seasons. He has competed in 51 races with 16 wins and 40 Top 5 finishes racing against the $40,000 engines. Like the Martins, all Johnson has done to the engine is change the oil.

When the Chevrolet Performance CT 525 Rebuild Center is open, Johnson’s CT525, which will be four-years-old in June with over 70 feature races on it, will be the first engine to be disassembled by Chevrolet Performance engineers to see what kind of wear the engine has after four years of trouble-free competition.

The all-aluminum Chevrolet Performance CT525 Super Late Model Engine is available from NeSmith Chevrolet, Buick, GMC in Claxton, GA for $6,995.00 and a Turn Key Kit, that includes everything except the carburetor, fuel pump, power steering pump and headers, is available for an additional $2,255.00.

NeSmith Chevrolet, Buick, GMC has free next day delivery anywhere in the Southeast. To place an order, call Tim Bland at 877-497-3624 or shop online at www.nesmithnow.com. NeSmith Chevrolet, Buick, GMC is the nation’s number GM Powertrain Dealer for five years running.

For more information about the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series visit the series web site at www.nesmithracing.com, or visit the series on Facebook at NeSmith Racing. Becoming a fan of the NeSmith Racing Facebook page will make you eligible for special prizes that will be given away each month. You can follow us on Twitter @NeSmithRacing.

NeSmith Chevrolet, Buick, GMC of Claxton, GA is the Title Sponsor of the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series. NeSmith Chevrolet, Buick, GMC is the nation’s number one GM Powertrain Dealer four years running, with free delivery anywhere in the Southeast. Chevrolet Performance Parts is an Official Sponsor of the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series. Hoosier Racing Tire is the Official Tire Sponsor of the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series. VP Racing Fuel is the Official Racing Fuel of the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series. Hedman Hedders is the Official Hedder of the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series and the Hedman Husler Award sponsor. RockAuto.com is an Official Sponsor of the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series. NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series Contingency Sponsors for 2012 are Dominator Race Products, Race Car Engineering, KRC, QA 1 Precision Products, Modern Images, Mike Custom Tanks, Shorty’s Shock Service, Schoenfeld Headers, Integra Racing Shocks, J.T. Kerr Racing Equipment, Kinser Air Filters, Trak-Star Race Cars, Warrior Race Cars, Rocket Chassis, GRT Race Cars, TNT Race Cars, and Stinger Race Cars.