PDA

View Full Version : Clicking in rear end

merc123
04-17-2012, 08:52 AM
What would make a clicking sound in a rear end? Some guy's rear end was making a clicking and it got faster when he was on the gas. Sounded like a baseball card in the spoke of a bicycle tire. First thing I thought was a ratchet or true-trac differential?

dynoman14
04-17-2012, 12:20 PM
YUP,
Been working that deal on the Chassis Dyno for about 4 years now. There is probably 25-30HP getting it set up right for the chassis you run. You can lock rr, lr, or partially lock either one, and you also have the option of locking either wheel under decel to help turn the car.

Many of the fast guys have been on this for a couple years as I worked on this for a Zero team back in 2002.

We found this in Plate cars 20 years ago and many of them run only one wheel locked full time.

BTW, the good systems don't click any.

merc123
04-20-2012, 09:51 AM
So it's a ratchet style rear end?

MasterSbilt_Racer
04-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Could be a tooth off a gear.

rubbinsracin
04-20-2012, 03:31 PM
i think what he is saying is that its worth 20-30 HP out on the track, not on a dyno......i have heard that having one of these things, like a trutrak or whatever brand, makes the car so much easier to drive, and allows the power to get to the track smoother.

i personally have not used one, but have spoke with other than have, and they have said its like having traction control.

Egoracing
04-21-2012, 06:33 AM
I guess Cup teams can not afford the good rears then because I have been in the pits several times and you can hear them clicking when they drive around, heck you can hear it on the in car cameras.

merc123
04-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Guess I'll just protest his rear end next time... Fortunately it's a FREE visual protest since it's not in the rules as a protest item...