PDA

View Full Version : Ford trans question

jeff 52
04-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Was going to run a toploader trans but the whole clutch assy is so heavy(and exspensive) ,what ford auto would ya all suggest I want to keep this all ford (I have a couple powerglides) oh I am running in high need to have all gears working as per rules 10 converter ok or 10.5 clutch . any help appericiated

C10
04-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Run the C4. Less power loss then the C6, and there are builders out there claiming to make them handle 1000 hp +. Who ever builds it for you, make sure they fully rollerize it as this really reduces drag and heat as well. Bonus is that they are very light as well.

jeff 52
04-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Run the C4. Less power loss then the C6, and there are builders out there claiming to make them handle 1000 hp +. Who ever builds it for you, make sure they fully rollerize it as this really reduces drag and heat as well. Bonus is that they are very light as well.

yes I tried tci and b&w plus the local gus that build all the powerglides here noe one does it. as a last result I went and talked to the guy I used to get my c6 done behnd my old 521 about a c4 he said no proble and decided to sponcer me at same time FREEtrans and all so thanks about though of c4 i apreciate the help

gun91
04-21-2012, 02:13 PM
We run t5 Trans and have had good luck with them

jeff 52
04-22-2012, 12:19 PM
We run t5 Trans and have had good luck with them

rules will not alow 5 speeds

gun91
04-22-2012, 08:08 PM
I have seen rules somewhere that didn't allow 5 speeds. I wonder why they won't? Heck tell em it's a 4 speed lol Overdrive in those Trans are too high geared to run anyway.

race6sq
04-22-2012, 10:32 PM
i have a triple disc an alum flywheel

jeff 52
04-24-2012, 04:56 PM
i have a triple disc an alum flywheel

yea rules are against that too anouther thing i considered was the weight of ford flywheels and cluthc assy for a 10.5 darn flywheel weighs as much as a gm whole clutch and I am trying to keep this ford all ford

5dirtracing
04-27-2012, 01:11 AM
if you run a t5 you can take 5th gear out because it is in the tail shaft housing area and weld the shifter guide plate to block of 5th gear groove and make it a 4 speed. the early small block flywheels are the lightest if you are using 351w or pre-80s 302s then use the 10'' clutch for 60s mustang/falcon V8 and if you are using later model 5.0L you can get the early flywheel balanced to the newer engine

bushracing67
04-27-2012, 08:30 AM
quicktime bell housing with gm flange, gm t10 or muncie trans, mustang gt flywheel 10", ram 6 paddle clutch disc take it to your machine shop and have 3 paddles cut off, and ram lightweight pressure plate.. if your budget allows... they are expensive lol

i realize that you mentioned keeping it all ford, other than running a c4 this would be your best option, the only t10 trans that came in fords are very valuable, so using the gm version makes more sense, muncies are also plentiful, you can find em online for 250-350 a lot of them already have 1&2 gear removed ford circle track use, i had 2 of them i sold a couple years ago when switching to a bert

jeff 52
04-28-2012, 07:30 AM
quicktime bell housing with gm flange, gm t10 or muncie trans, mustang gt flywheel 10", ram 6 paddle clutch disc take it to your machine shop and have 3 paddles cut off, and ram lightweight pressure plate.. if your budget allows... they are expensive lol

i realize that you mentioned keeping it all ford, other than running a c4 this would be your best option, the only t10 trans that came in fords are very valuable, so using the gm version makes more sense, muncies are also plentiful, you can find em online for 250-350 a lot of them already have 1&2 gear removed ford circle track use, i had 2 of them i sold a couple years ago when switching to a bert
yea I have that bell housingits a nice piece got and got the old style fly wheel also got an old 1968 RUG-M2 trans from a big block 68 mustang realy at this point money not the problem as here (houston area) there is absolutly nobody running a ford for help and I appreciate you fellows imput greatly I guess I need to see where to get a hyd throwout brg for this and just do it if i could I would just run a richmond 2 speed but trans must be cast and rules are against 2 speeds

5dirtracing
05-01-2012, 11:08 PM
get one for chevy trans take the front bearing retainer/ throwout bearing sleeve machine it so the chevy hyd. throwout bearing will slide over it . thats what i did on mine

jeff 52
05-02-2012, 09:04 AM
get one for chevy trans take the front bearing retainer/ throwout bearing sleeve machine it so the chevy hyd. throwout bearing will slide over it . thats what i did on mine

thanx for hat pice of info i han not thought of that so there is enough material to turn tha collar down? `ll chuck it up tonight