PDA

View Full Version : 18* sbc steel heads

perfconn
04-19-2012, 08:28 AM
Would there be much of a market for 18* small block chevy steel heads?

SS Motorsports
04-19-2012, 11:03 AM
I would think there could be a good market for them, be it circle track racing, drag racing or any other form providing the cost could be kept somewhat inline with the other steel heads out on the market now. But 99% of the people that will post on this topic will find some way to shoot holes in a new idea or just say there are enough products out there now, and this will be just another way to make engine builders rich. My opinion about the steel heads now is they seeem to be limited in the sense of how much you are able to get out of them. I personally think that steel heads are a good way to help control some of the cost, but I know of some engine builders in the Florida area that have built probably hundreds of steel head engines, and when you send the heads to a what I consider to be a very reputable and extremely good at what they do racing head service you end up with a set of 2500-3000 dollar heads because of limitations on the 23deg. steel heads out now. I think an 18deg. steel head would be a great idea because in theory there should be less machine time involved in getting a lot more performance out of an 18deg. cylinder head. This is just my opinion and I am sure it will be shot full of holes as well by people who have never been part of the racing industry and are keyboard performance experts.

perfconn
04-19-2012, 12:01 PM
I could get some done but I'm just not sure how much of a market there would be since there are 14* steel heads available.

sj valley dave
04-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Hey Terry, I think the question is how many classes are out there that you could use them...I know here in CA a lot of the iron head classes also have the 23* +/- one degree stipulation...I like the idea...For drag racing, where you might not have those restrictive rules, they might be a hot set up...

powerslide
04-19-2012, 02:27 PM
the weight is a big thing w/ them i think as well when you get below 23degree they start to get pretty heavy

perfconn
04-19-2012, 03:07 PM
I don't think there would be much of a market in drag racing,just buy 18* aluminum heads,but there are lots of circle track classes that require steel heads.Like dave said, there are restrictions in some classes but not others.

SS Motorsports
04-19-2012, 04:51 PM
I know alot of the asphalt modified guys in Florida parked their cars because of not really being able to afford the aluminum 18deg. or SB2 stuff. Having limited budgets and not being able to get the performance out of the 23deg. steel heads they have or can get their hands own. I have seen quite a few different sets of rules that allow weight breaks for steel head engines vs. alum. head engines, so there may be more of a market than one would initially think. I certainly wouldn't jump out there and have 15 or 20 sets on the shelf but may also be beneficial to find a guinea pig and try at least a set or two out onsome cars.

slojo25
04-19-2012, 05:58 PM
racer pro in austrailia used to have 18 degree steel heads

perfconn
04-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Not saying your wrong.I been in circle track stuff for 20 years and I never heard of any.Pro Action or whatever they were before RHS bought them out had a 14*

andy16
04-19-2012, 08:52 PM
i dont think that would work at all... i have NEVER EVER seen a rule that said had to run steel heads that didn also say had to be 23* +or- 3* for angle milling. im pretty sure those 14* steel heads flopped for that very reason. when they first came out everyone was like oooooooh its a steel head and then they read the rules and was like oh yea 23*

perfconn
04-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Don't know how to copy and paste on this tablet but you can go to several websites such as: moulton raceway(2 barrel),greenvalley raceway(sportsman),boyds speedway and you will see that not all tracks have a + or - at all on their steelheads.

andy16
04-19-2012, 09:42 PM
i may not understand. i looked at moulton rules. it didn give a degree and said you could angle mill. but it did say no aftermarket heads. so if you can angle mill it to 18* i guess itd be legal. but im pretty sure all you can get is three degrees and have it live for any amount of time.

perfconn
04-20-2012, 08:55 AM
The moulton rule for no aftermarket heads is for the late model sportsman class.The 2 barrel rule allows any steel head with anything you want to do to it,same as Boyds Sportsman steelhead rules.

andy16
04-21-2012, 10:27 AM
i stand corrected... sorry thanks for pointing that out.

stevo
04-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Dart steel head that susposed to be 23 will check 19 and don't have to use 18 degree rockers.

perfconn
04-21-2012, 03:50 PM
I've built many sets of the Dart Iron Eagles and Platinums and the most I could ever get out of them was 20* and that was by angle milling them down past the intake valve seats and puting in new intake seats.The heads that Kenny Compton won the $10,000 race at Green Valley with were only 19 1/2* but they were RHS Raised Runners.Never seen any steel heads that checked 19*.

Chico
04-21-2012, 11:53 PM
there's actually 4 or 5 tracks in the same gen area as Boyd's that could run 18 degree steel heads the kicker would be the heads allowed on some but others just say 23 degree style heads may be angled milled I think cost effectiveness would be a factor in some of the classes but prob not as much as others

perfconn
04-22-2012, 06:01 AM
They would be 23* style heads.They would use 23* intake and 23* headers.Valves and rockers would be 18*.

sj valley dave
04-22-2012, 11:26 AM
So your thinking something along the lines of the Brodix 18x head where you can re use a lot of the 23* valvetrain stuff...??

perfconn
04-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Actually would be the RHS raised runner steel head only would end up with an 18* valve angle.

Chico
04-22-2012, 08:44 PM
I know there are a lot of variables but what kind of ballpark fig do you have in mind

perfconn
04-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Depends on other head rules that may have to be met.Ported and covered up,not ported,with intake or without,titanium valves or stainless? Roughly a ported set that would be close to 245cc intake runners and 40cc chambers bare would be about $3000.00 but thats just a close guess.

Chico
04-23-2012, 06:38 PM
thanks for the reply I've already built this yr but am tryin to move up a notch in performance for the next motor Thanks again

perfconn
04-23-2012, 08:39 PM
It would not be a cheap motor because of all the custom machine work and needing custom pistons but it would be one bad a$$ steelhead engine.

racin6mod
04-24-2012, 05:42 PM
it would be a good idea for a ump e-mod class,but after having a race series announce new rules after I talked to them about a product that I spent all winter designing and testing I'll tell you it might be better to just have them made and sell as fast as possible before rule changes kill your product.people will always bitch and try to keep others from doing something they can not.

perfconn
04-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Soon as I sell the 21* engine I'm working on I'll do a set(probably 4or 5 weeks) and see if they sell.

perfconn
05-27-2012, 09:32 PM
I have a set of heads at HVH being ported.If interested,give me a couple of weeks and shoot me an e-mail at terry.marciaburnett@gmail.com