PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Spring IMCA-Stock Car?

roybeckett13j
04-20-2012, 10:26 PM
One question...

Is it possible to get a leaf spring car to run with a metric car, IMCA stock.

Can the leaf spring setup be tuned and played with enough to get it through the turns as good as a metric car can? Would it be competative? thanks

dirty white boy
04-20-2012, 11:11 PM
leafs will eat a metric up on tacky track,..metric lil better on the slick...but fine tuneing leafs still competitive!

roybeckett13j
04-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Sweet! Just not too many leaf cars out here anymore. One Camaro that still runs a few races, but hasn't won anything in a few years.

The car is a 67 A-body...mopar :P

Has spring sliders, landrum springs and the works out back. Torsion bars in the front.

Gonna run a hot 360 under IMCA's 500 cfm carb rule.

Egoracing
04-21-2012, 02:34 PM
When the metric monte started to show up at race tracks everyone said they were junk and would never be as fast as the full sized monte and the camaro's because they were coil cars. It was the same thing when the fox body mustang started showing up when pintos got scarce. Now the questions are the other way around.
The answer is that it will depend on who builds it and how it is set up. The chassis design for a leaf car needs to be installed differently than a coil car. There are still many races and championships won with leaf cars.

LowTechRacing
04-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Up hear in the nw there are few metrics. Most are camaro's. The metrics that are here are fast. But guy's don't want to get away from what there use too

gun91
04-21-2012, 04:31 PM
It's almost all camaros around here. Most guys are scared of metrics seems like. I like metric better and have won quite a few races in a mustang (wide open v8 motor rules) here lately. Learn how to work the stock 4 link and it will fly! Leafs are limited in my opinion.

roybeckett13j
04-21-2012, 06:33 PM
The only thing I see bad about a leaf car is getting through the corners.

It's almost impossible, if not completely, for them to work like a metric. Metric car you can get your lower trailing arms set to where the car rolls over in the corner it steers you through...just steer right a touch and hammer the gas.

Don't know/think that could happen with a leaf car.

And what I've seen of leaf stocks is that your setup either REALLY works! or it doesn't at ALL. Like there is no happy medium between scary loose/just right/or pushing like a 'dozer. No middle ground maybe?

Any leaf guy from back in the day that know those secrets to make these cars silly fast again? other than just blow the tires off going through the corners...

sj valley dave
04-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Out here on the West Coast, the leafs are still the fastest for the most part. There are a few fast coil cars, but the leafs are really fast. No rules restrict them. You can run sliders, long shackles, move your front spring mounts to wherever you want, float the RR, etc. The coils can hang on the heavy tracks, but on the dry slicks, the leaf Camaro's are fast! No such thing as blowing the tires off! LOL

3dinter
04-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Down here in the South all of the tracks we run the Metrics Rule, i can only remember 1 leaf car and it a beginner class car and its always last. Around here as soon as the metrics hit the junkyard they are gone instantly either by the racers or the low income people so its hard to get ahold of a decent metric and god forbid you bend your frame or rearend, YOUR usually SOL in finding a good replacement axle housing or used decent frame. Camaros, Mustangs are not allowed to run but in only one class thats about dead.

dirt2
04-24-2012, 08:04 PM
One question...

Can the leaf spring setup be tuned and played with enough to get it through the turns as good as a metric car can? Would it be competative? thanks

Sure is,have six different leaf car running now.
Last season four won track champion ships &
two finished up very good. All in knowing what
to do & how to set them up.

dirt2

gun91
04-24-2012, 08:56 PM

dirt2

I think more than anything most time when the leaf cars are fastest, it's because either the guys with the coil cars don't know what they are doing or just ain't doin their homework and figuring out how to make the coil suspension work.

I used to think leafs were better but will take a coil car any day over a leaf car now!! In my area it's ate set 95% leaf camaros too!! Most guys set up coils car totally wrong around here at least. They try to set them up like they would a leaf car and that won't work

gun91
04-24-2012, 09:01 PM
A leaf car is more consistent IF you don't know how to adjust the metric for diff track conditions. Once you learn how to change it and when, they will FLY! Look at mods, I know they have birdcages so it ain't the same but the 4 link is SO adjustable even if you can't run extra holes in mounts, you can make BIG changes with small ride height changes

gun91
04-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Jeff I run 3 different tracks usually. One has real tight turns, one has an average width turn, and the other has real wide turns. I could just change my stagger but that would require having more tires on hand, but I can run the lowers at 0 degrees for the track with wide turns, raise the rear a couple rounds to get a couple degrees in lowers for the average track, and raise it a couple more turns for the tight track to get around 5 degrees on lowers which lets it rear steer more. I run a really loose car compared to most but drive it straighter than most also. These changes don't seems to change forward bite on this car (mustang not metric but very close to same on rear suspension). I could just add brackets with extra holes and not have to change ride height on rear but we are building a new car with all that on it and my son will be running a pure street class in this car soon and I would have to take it all back off if I did. Jeff your ways AIN'T the ONLY ways or necessarily the BEST ways for every driver either. From posts I have read on here, I couldn't drive the setups you run I don't think but they work for you. You would prob tell me I was lying if I gave you all the info on how my cars are setup but it works for me.

I also run a longer lighter lr spring than the rr and have for years. Some say that won't work but I have 79 feature winner trophys to say that it works for me! I ain't that familiar with IMCA rules but I run a ss class with wide open motor rules ( only rules are gauge legal Holley 2bbl and no alum heads or blocks, no other engine rules) and we are a VERY low $ team compared to most (some run $15-20,000 motors) we have less in everything than some do in their heads!

gun91
04-25-2012, 03:21 PM
I ran 18 tracks last season.

Ok? I have my own business to run and a wife and 3 kids that I can't drag all over the country racing yet at least. I love racing but too busy with life to worry bout running 18 different tracks. I have raced at 17 different tracks and won on all but 5 of them and was one of the fastest cars at the ones I haven't won on yet and those I only raced one or two times each and couple of them had problems (flats or wrecks) take me out of contention. Those 3 tracks are within 2 hours of my house and I run those regularly doesn't mean they are the only tracks I have ever been to. Like I said in my post, I would be better off adding adjustable mounts and not mess with the ride heights but it works for me.

How many of those 18 tracks did you win at? How many we're strictly IMCA or IMCA rule tracks? Dude I ain't saying your car ain't fast, just saying there is more than one way of doing things. If most people looked at my car and setup sheets, they would say there is no way in h*ll it would go around a track like it does. I don't go by the books or by anyone else's setups, I make what I got work and drive it accordingly. I may ask for opinions or how to do something, but then take that advise and see if I can better it.

gun91
04-25-2012, 11:39 PM
Man, sorry I got so long but I should knew better than I even reply to your post. You ruin this whole board with your attitude

Not exactly sure where your located or how far you like to go, but if you get a chance bring that car to Clayhill Motorsports in Atwood, TN. clayhillmotorsports.com look at hobby rules. If you got ump hoosier Emod tires (the harder ones can't remember which they were) they are pretty much same tire as the Hoosier 500 we have to run if you don't have those, come on down and show us how it's done.

Ah screw it nevermind man I am done wasting my time ain't but one way to set up a car and I am lost as a goose I guess

gun91
04-25-2012, 11:57 PM
Excuse me mr stock car driver, sorry for doubting your greatness. I just just ain't on your level man. Doubt I will ever get there.

Driver88
04-26-2012, 07:26 AM
Come on guys. We all know there is more than one way to skin a cat. And all that matters is that ya dont get hair all over the meat when ya are done.
Both opinions are appreciated. I maybe wrong but, I think thats what this board is all about different ideas and helping fellow drivers.

gun91
04-26-2012, 08:56 AM
What's stupid is thinking that a car will go around any track just as good with no changes. Maybe you car was fast enough but with a lil tweek it would have been faster. Unless all 18 tracks had the same turn radius, you ran the same line at em all, banking was the same, moisture in the track or lack of was the same, etc. Kinda hard to believe that there is that many identical tracks in the country!

gun91
04-26-2012, 09:07 AM
You ain't helping nobody saying that you or anybody else don't need to change their car ever. Never learn anything if you don't make changes, so the guys on this board that listen to you may find em ONE setup for one track then will be scared to change when they need too.

All I did was reply to the guy about if a leaf car was as good and gave an example of how a metric was more veritile. If changing you bar angles for different track conditions didn't help the WHY on earth do mods and latemodels have extra holes for their suspensions? You find a late or mod guy that DONT MOVE their bars around for different tracks and you will find one that don't consistently run up front!!! I know their suspensions ate different but the faster you can go around a turn WITHOUT sliding the tires or spinning, the faster the car will be.!!!! Say what you want bout how stupid you think I am or call me whatever you want to but that's the facts man

gun91
04-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Seriously are you really an adult as in over 18 years old?

None of the 18 tracks are the same. They are ALL dirt though, lol.. Some sand, some clay, some black dirt....

Im not asking for your help with set up, lol...

I ain't offering you help but was trying to help the original poster and thanks for the link but I make my own rear end brackets and most everything else I can too I don't buy em

T_Spencer
04-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Your the one with the attitude in this thread... nobody has challenged anyones replys except you.

Now that's the hypocritical statement of the year right there !! I read this forum alot and those two things define you Jeff ...attitude and challenges.

Go back up and look at your response to Dirt2's post. You were the ONLY one to challenge him. Saying you would like to know "where these cars are". All too common with you.

Your a piece of work man. Being competitive is fine, but give it a break sometime. You're a grown man now.

dirt2
04-26-2012, 09:13 PM
I dont change anything on my car from track to track and my at the track adjustments are two shocks and a piece of lead on either the rf lf or lr... I never adjust my screw jacks or change my trailing arm angles.

Id like to know where dirt2 has all these leaf IMCA stock cars.

Look back at my post, no where does it say these cars are IMCA.
The question asked can you make a leaf car as fast or faster than
a coil car in imca. YES I CAN, you might not have the know how but
i do. Also work with some very fast coil cars that have won championships.

dirt2

dirt2
04-26-2012, 09:27 PM
No.

I built a leaf car in 04 ran it half of 04 all of 05.

My full sized chevelle coil car was faster than the leaf car on day one.

My metric was faster than the chevelle on day one.

My leaf car was 2430 race ready no driver no lead, I dont think you could build a better car, it was offset to the max pushed the leaf mounts way into the grey area.

I lost 60-75lb of spring rate in the left rear spring per night. NEW lr spring every night would be needed for a consistent set up night to night, I had custom made leafs done locally that were only 65 each and 11 inch arch even and still never looked back after building a coil car.

In this case i would say you & your custom spring builder both were out of the
ball park on the springs. Sorry champ you posted that you couldn't get a leafer
to work,not me.

dirt2

dirt2
04-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Where did I say it didnt work? Try reading again and reading slower.

As I suspected NO leaf cars consistently successfull in IMCA, lol...Thanks for confirming.

I don't have to go back & reread anything slower or faster to read between the
lines that you posted. You just plain didn't know what you were doing.
Not going to waste my time on you, go get into bed call mom to wipe
your azz & shut up. The end.
dirt2

Hammer
04-27-2012, 11:58 AM
One question...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

original question said imca stock^^^^^^^^^^^

dirt2

your answer above with his quote i took as your cars were imca cars.in which i think SCD took also jmo

Ihave no dog in this pissing match but if you read what some people post and go back and think there not answering the question that was asked.i could of answered my buddy eat everybody's lunch in a nova back in the day 50 + wins, until guys started figuring out the metrics, but i don't race in imca and just didn't want to stick my foot in my mouth answering the question that was toward imca cars..Not picking on you Dirt2 sorry..

racerkrp1
04-27-2012, 01:24 PM
I always loose right rear weight on my leaf car...

a1driver
04-27-2012, 07:12 PM
i'd have thought that a hot shoe like stock car, who runs 3-5 nights a week would have more wins than 3 in a year, maybe he needs to do a little more home work than he realizes.

dirty white boy
04-28-2012, 02:06 AM
every body likes what thay like an thinks its best but each must find there own way in the end,...no imca round here but it really depends on track,..as banking,configuration an the dirt along with what tire's and set up skills,..leafs like tacky an high banking,...but coil cars have more money left after spring bill is paid,...the good bout the metrics is there rear suspension but the front ends need lotta tweek'in to get'um to quit pushin like a dump truck,...a carmaro front an metric back should be best of both worlds,...wanta see a nova street stock with lotta current checkards check out freindship speedway in elkin nc

dirty white boy
04-29-2012, 07:54 PM
thats a waste,..bet it would be a fast car!! on a side note,..watched that friendship nova run door handle to door handle with a bad on metric 7 laps of heat race an full 25 lap feature last night! nether one had a advantage!!

really?
05-01-2012, 02:49 PM
i work on both leaf and coils and they are both good, leafs are alot more maintenance involved. we have coil cars beating camaros in arkansas, but we have yet to take a coil car to batesville which is dominated every year by camaros even though some coil cars make the show they go backwards in the slick and thats usually the case in that situation. no offense stock car driver but i watch one of our local mid pack guys lap you at a show i believe it was in ill. and if you have your front end right a metric car will work much better when you get 54% rear but every situation is different and the guy that runs atwood tn. ,dont worry the cars in your neck of the woods are a WHOLE lot faster than stockcardrivers. they just need more big shows up north to give guys the oppotunity to branch out, cause your only as good as the guys you race with, thats how a guy wins lets say locally and then travels and gets lapped!

gun91
05-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Leaf cars ARE ALWAYS up front at Batesville! That track is tough to figure out without several trips. I still ain't got it figured out yet but only been twice and only once in the mustang. We were way off on front springs with the mustang when we went and ended up spinning a rod bearing in the heat race too year before last at the big fall race.

We do have some bad fast street stocks in west TN, Ark, and Southern MO and most are leaf camaros. In part I think it's the dirt we have to race on here that makes it so hard for the coil cars. I haven't ventured off too far but other places north and south of here have a LOT better dirt to race on usually

dirty white boy
05-05-2012, 12:18 AM
thats a waste,..bet it would be a fast car!! on a side note,..watched that friendship nova run door handle to door handle with a bad on metric 7 laps of heat race an full 25 lap feature last night! nether one had a advantage!!

heres a vid of that mertic an nova runnin so many laps door to door,..pay attention to the spray bomb black monte an orange nova,44...bout as even as 2 cars can be...nova get the win in the end but got dq'd on a carb technicality....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZTe5f2_7a8

DaveBauerSS6
05-05-2012, 01:20 AM
heres a vid of that mertic an nova runnin so many laps door to door,..pay attention to the spray bomb black monte an orange nova,44...bout as even as 2 cars can be...nova get the win in the end but got dq'd on a carb technicality....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZTe5f2_7a8
Great race, track looks good. 360 degree seating, nice. Never gets a cushion??

dirty white boy
05-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Great race, track looks good. 360 degree seating, nice. Never gets a cushion??

this track gose slick most time,..thay have a hard time with it,..its got asphalt under the clay an makes it hard to prep,..but new management been puttin lotta work in to it an was best ive seen it since it went back dirt,..these 2 cars an 2 others that wont there this night are the class of the field an run this hard bout every race,..but on account of carb dq an new carb rules implied field should tightin up some...