PDA

View Full Version : Opinions and some info on early pinto 2.0 please.

wdp8x
04-25-2012, 07:26 AM
I have been racing pinto racecars for a while but have never had one that was not a 2.3.... I have a chance to pick up a complete early 2.0 for $200... besides the weight break and stock solid cam, are there any other pros and cons to this engine....also are performance parts easy to find for one and if so where can they be found ? Thank you in advance for any help / info I can get...will wait for response before I decide to purchase it or not.

84Dave
04-25-2012, 02:10 PM
We've used the early Pinto 2.0L in our Pro-4's for many a year. Take a look at www.secordmotorsports.com . On the Home page, click 'Tech Talk pages 1/2/3' for quite a few pictures. If the budget and Rules allow, they still manufacture a dry-sump oil system, WiseCo pistons are available, headers are available, Schneider roller cams, Esslinger big valves etc. etc. I built the engines using 2.3L roller followers, 1.8" intake/1.5" exhaust valves, beehive valve springs, built the header using PipeMax software, crank-trigger ignition, MSD ignition box, and topped it off with an ATI harmonic damper. The pic's on the Web site show most of the hardware. OR......... you can get wild & crazy with a Cosworth cast-iron #200 or #205 bare block. It replicates the original block with the exception of thicker cylinder walls. I used a few of those. I shortened the stroke on the crank to 3", ground the rod journals to 1.999" to use Chev rod bearings with the Crower Maxi-Lite 5.7" rods. Topped the induction off with an individual-runner intake manifold sporting dual 50mmDCO Weber sidedraft carbs. She'd spin 9000 max, easily, all day/night long. And if Rules permit, and you wanted to really show 'em what ya got, Cosworth now casts an aluminum block replication of the engine. With a larger bore. Again, depends on the budget, Rules, and how far you'd want to take the Project. -Dave-

little302
04-28-2012, 01:59 AM
I have one and love it!! Those 2.3 guys just scratch their heads..

little302
04-30-2012, 01:29 PM
So you know.. Daves experience and cash flow really outdo most of what we on this board can afford. BUT!!! Theres still ALOT u can gather from it...Like...2.3 roller followers...beehive springs....5.7 rods...All these are fairly cheap upgrades, and will net a degree of improvement..I ran a bone stock engine, unmilled head, and 5.7 rods, with a decent cam .435 lift. Weber dvg, alum. intake, and header, with a Mallory unilite. Had no problems beating 90 percent of the field..
Here are the rules we ran by..www.doerunraceway.com

racer#10
04-30-2012, 01:45 PM
I always knew you were cheating Jason!!! I guess we are part of the other 10% that you speak of?lol. Just giving you crap, good luck out there this year if you get it together. And yes, that 2.0 of yours does leave me scratching my head sometimes.

wdp8x
04-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the info guys... just a couple more questions....will I be able to use my mustang trans behind this engine or do I have to have the pinto tranny ? Also , is $200 a decent price for a complete rebuildable engine ? Thanks in advance.

jimbbski
05-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Those engines are getting rare in some parts of the country. I ported a 2.0L head per the David Vissard book many years ago. With a milled head and "Rim flow" valves and just a streetable cam the thing just hauled ass. We used a Weiland intake set up for either the stock Weber or a Holley 2 bbl. We used a Holley 500 cfm 2 bbl and with the correct mods 7500 rpm came up quick.

The best head for this engine never was imported into the USA. In Europe this engine came in a 1800 CC version and a slightly different head. The intake ports had more of a downward curve to the intake valve seat. That is the short side radius had a curve where the USA 2.0L head is flat. That's why in the Vissard book he tells you to fill in the short side radius with epoxy. On the 1.8L head you didn't have to. You used to be able to get this head through BAT in Florida but I don't think they import them anymore. That's not to say if you have contacts in Europe you can't have someone get you a used one. They look just like the USA head other then the intake ports.

There is also a twin cam version that Ford sold for a few years back in the 80's. It was called the YAC. In Turbo form it made 250+ HP stock but using stock parts it could be tuned to 500+! A number were imported in NA form for use in an sports car road racing series back in the early 90's. They made 220 HP.

little302
05-01-2012, 02:52 PM
I always knew you were cheating Jason!!! I guess we are part of the other 10% that you speak of?lol. Just giving you crap, good luck out there this year if you get it together. And yes, that 2.0 of yours does leave me scratching my head sometimes.Hey Even I didnt know what was in that engine!! 5.7 rods are legal!! in a 2.3.....;)Oh.. You mean the unilite!! Ill paint the cap black!! Just think how much fun we could have had, if we had been geared to run over 6700!!
You will have to take a few laps in it after I get the right gear in it..

little302
05-01-2012, 02:53 PM
I always knew you were cheating Jason!!! I guess we are part of the other 10% that you speak of?lol. Just giving you crap, good luck out there this year if you get it together. And yes, that 2.0 of yours does leave me scratching my head sometimes.And yes guys.... he was the 10 percent.. Dang hard to pass!!.

little302
05-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the info guys... just a couple more questions....will I be able to use my mustang trans behind this engine or do I have to have the pinto tranny ? Also , is $200 a decent price for a complete rebuildable engine ? Thanks in advance.

Ya.. the price is ok. But there are a few on craigslist in Tenn for $50. If I dont get to um B4 u do!!