PDA

View Full Version : Attention all promoters

speedo123456
04-25-2012, 05:13 PM
As a racecar owner and driver, promoters take advantage.
1.) We purchase a car
2.) We purchase a motor
3.) We pay 8 dollars a gallon
4.) We pay fuel expense to get there
5.) And we pay pit passes to race

I feel the promoters need to promote more and give the guy putting on the show a break.
1.) One car owner, one driver should get in the pits free
2.) The track promoter charges the fans, the venders, the photographers, and the teams
3.) These 35 dollar pit passes are ridiculous
4.) We race for the hobby and love for the sport
5.) And if you win, the only person who makes money is the promoter, and the racer is lucky to brake even.

Maybe the promoter needs to pay the cars to show up, and earn their job title PROMOTER and promote the race.
Thank you, I just vented, I won a race but I don't want to spend 400 dollars to win 200 every week.
-The Broke Racer

stunner
04-25-2012, 07:16 PM
In no way am I trashing racers with the following opinions as I was one myself for 16 years before becoming a promoter.

Promoter pays
1. Insurance (look around its very expensive 4 nights worth would buy a good engine)
2. Payroll (Many wives, children, and family members or friends of drivers)
3. Diesel/ Fuel (Its a major expense weekly)
4. Track maintenance
5. Equipment maintenance and purchasing. (Buy a grader once you'll b happy your a racer)
6. Sound system
7. Track radios
8. Advertising
9. Taxes and or Lease payments

Guess overall the feeling is if your a promoter you make money. Well how many racetracks in your area or country wide have you seen or heard close? Alot! Its not as easy as "doing your job". I was once nieve to things and thought wow the promoters are making a killing. Well the truth is no matter how hard you work and how well you do your job there is very little if any money in weekly racing. Racers are spread to thin and expenses across the board have made it very hard to run weekly programs.

Figured since we were doing the venting id let the other side be told. Im 3in days from opening night at the track im promoting this year. Ive been working countless hours everyday for 3u months getting things prepared for racers to start cutting laps without anyform of income while incurring many expenses. To couple that weather is forecast to be a high in mid 40's with 40+% chance of rain/snow. Im fully aware if I call of races ill be crucified by most "as theres a chance we could race". Im also fully aware that if I run ill b dubbed an idiot by some for "making them race/watch" in that weather and on top of that potentially loose $1000's from poor attendance and lack of Concessions sales.

Sometimes its easy to assume someone elses position is always easier. Its not always the truth. But moral of the story we both love the sport of racing and were all a big family and need to work with each other to make our tracks and the sport survive. Well im getting back to my job now so hopefully we will see you at whatever track you run at this weekend!

Mosidebite
04-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Both sides have some very good points. The Racer is his own worst nightmare that is why the majority of everything is so expensive, I am included in this. Do the Math, it just does not add up. However most everyone is worried about how much does it pay to win instead of how big is the trophy and where is the hot chick to get my picture taken with. IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN! It won't be much fun when everyone is broke and racing is dead.

The other side...."PROMOTER" is used awfully loosely anymore. Around here Tom Helfrich at Tri State Speedway, Haubstadt, IN is the guy that can be described as a true promoter. Constantly advertising etc. And he is rewarded with a crowd. Some will say his location is ideal etc, that is part of it, have a good plan. His overhead is obviously higher than a lot of other tracks but I am betting he is not depending on the back gate paying the purse and hoping to sell enough hot dogs to turn a profit.

Both sides are to blame and we better start figuring it out or everyone will be fishing...or standing in a shop looking at a rusty race car talking about how great it was.

JAMESGANGRACING
04-25-2012, 11:36 PM
We the racers are the ones who quit grabbing a car from the wrecking yard and turning it into a race car. Just because we spend 10+ times what we used to , doesn't mean the track can pay 10 times the purse it used to, they would have to charge 10 times the admission etc. to make that happen and we all know that wont work. We need to be glad they give us a place to race and pay us something for doing it. Weekly tracks with 700 to 2500 people in the stands can only pay the purses they pay now if they want to survive.