PDA

View Full Version : Engine Rpm's

decker0909
04-29-2012, 08:06 PM
How many rpm's are you guys turning your motors? Is there any advantage of turning more Rpm's? I know its hard on the motor but does it help the car get in and off the corner better?

sj valley dave
04-29-2012, 08:12 PM
It all depends upon your engine build. Cam, cylinder heads, carb, etc. If your induction system is not designed for hi rpms, then twisting your engine is like pi**ing up a rope...getting you nowhere....

oldtrackchamp4x
04-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Agree !!!!!

powerslide
04-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Also if you have a wheelspinner you cant control gearing it over peak torque can make it controlable. But again its going to have its tongue hanging out. Do you have the parts to stand it? anywhere from 7500-8500 is probably the norm nowdays. heck our bmods around here turn 7500 all day.

johnny v
04-30-2012, 05:31 PM
How many rpm's are you guys turning your motors? Is there any advantage of turning more Rpm's? I know its hard on the motor but does it help the car get in and off the corner better?

IMHO- When summer gets to our part of the country ( East Texas, North Louisiana).... you need the Big RPM motors to qualify in the heat races when the track still has a little moisture in it.....later in the Night when it slicks off and slows down.... not so much.....
I have a friend with a motor that will turn 8200+ all year long and I watch his In Car videos every week.... and I am amazed how LITTLE of that $$$ motor he uses down each straightaway in the Feature........
But it is a great option to have in the heat where your starting position in the feature DEPENDS on how fast you are in the Heat Race.....

One of those deals where its better to have it and not use it , than not to have it when you need it....

xxxmod
04-30-2012, 08:13 PM
That top RPM at the end of a race is not a good indicator of car performance.
Through the corner is usually 4500 and the high RPM should be at the end of the
straight.Run what ever gear the stop watch says is fastest.

charcoal01
04-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Use as much gear as the motor will allow. It really helps slow the car down using less brake in the slick and if you can control your foot, allows to run a tighter overall setup and still be able to turn the car with the throttle if you miss your marks.

Racer111
05-02-2012, 06:15 PM
8400 here..