PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Box?

dluna11w
05-02-2012, 09:39 AM
I've never encountered this issue, so I'm needing some help. Hot laps, box was really tight on track, similar to no power steering, but more jerky. Swapped with a borrowed lightened worked over box and can turn lock to lock with my pinky. Got home, put new box on. Set caster/camber with no problems. Wheels turned back and forth very easy for me. After starting the motor, the wheels are now very hard to turn. I've jacked up the front and turned lock to lock. I see no bubbles or drop in fluid. What else can I check/do?

dirty white boy
05-02-2012, 01:38 PM
sounds like pump failing to me...or belt slipping one...

dluna11w
05-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Do you think it is working on the lightened/worked over box because it doesn't require as much from the pump to turn the wheels?

TeamGRT12x
05-02-2012, 02:32 PM
I'd start with a new pump. Sounds like you are running a regular pump (Not KSE) so you should be able to pick one up for the price of a new box. Before that, though, I would tighten the belt, and possibly spray some anti-slip coating on the belt to see what you can get. If it's still hard to turn and the belt isn't slipping, it's your pump.

dluna11w
05-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Thank you for the replies. Is it possible for a pump to be bad and a steering box to turn super easy...like 1 finger easy? The only thing keeping me from going out and buying another pump is the fact that it works just fine with a different box. I don't understand how this would work. And it is a KRC pump. The reservoir is different than I've used in the past. The return is about 1.5" up from the bottom of the can, but the setup works just fine with a different steering box.

stock car driver
05-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Sounds like air in the system still with the new box you installed. I jack my car up and go lock to lock a lot of times to clear that and remove all jerkyness.

racer69
05-03-2012, 06:11 PM
I would think its the pump or air too. But I do wonder about the valve in the back of the pump?