PDA

View Full Version : rear end WILL NOT drop on lr

dirtracr33
05-02-2012, 07:51 PM
shaw car...i've never ran across this, i've got a bind somewhere....with the shock and spring off, bars on, the rear end on lr will not drop down and catch on the chain....i took the bars off and it'll drop then - nothing holding it all ...the b/c is free but when i put the bars on, shock/spring off, it won't drop... checked the b/c, brackets, etc. nothing wrong there...

basically if i take the chain off, the spring and shock off, the crazy thing will just sit there..never seen this any help appreciated.

cavemod
05-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Is the pull bar and j bar on when this happens???Are the heims free on both ??Bent or bound up slider??Drive shaft in car and bottoming out holding the rear in place?

mudeater18
05-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Does you birdcage spin on the axle tube with the bars unhooked ? .

dirtracr33
05-02-2012, 08:29 PM
it's not the slider, i took it off and the b/c rotates fine...i haven't gotten as far as the p/bar, jbar or d/shaft...gotta be one of those i guess, never had it do this before...thanks for the replies..

sobe92
05-02-2012, 09:02 PM
too much top bar angle will do this if the bar is indexed it can hang up on the top bar.

LKissinger8
05-02-2012, 09:21 PM
We ran into this on our shaw car and it was a driveshaft issue.. We had to take the tailshaft out and have the splines cut deeper to allow the driveshaft to slide forward more.. Also make sure you have the long yoke on the driveshaft

Flyin Iowan
05-02-2012, 11:11 PM
We ran into this on our shaw car and it was a driveshaft issue.. We had to take the tailshaft out and have the splines cut deeper to allow the driveshaft to slide forward more.. Also make sure you have the long yoke on the driveshaft

i dont have a shaw but i had to do the same thing on my car

TALON75
05-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Make sure the LR lower bar is not binding on the B/C, I had to grind on the B/C a little and run a small nut on the hiem as it would contact the B/C .

jared1624
05-03-2012, 03:02 AM
if your running the bearing style bircages you could have a bearing bad. I had the same deal once on my shaw, the bearing would spin free with nothing on it, hook up the bars and wouldnt spin with a load on it. changed the bearing out from a spare set i had and it fixed it. I ended up changing to the teflon type for that reason

dluna11w
05-03-2012, 06:25 AM
My guess is that the lower bar is hitting the birdcage. Are you running one of those bent lower bars for clearance?

dirtracr33
05-03-2012, 08:08 PM
well i took the d/shaft out, not the problem....took off the b/c and i can't tell if it's bad or not...spins slick as a whistle, no rough spots or anything when spinning......anyway of telling if they are bad and if so does shaw sell'em, hate to go to all that trouble if that's not it-- but i will...also went thru full range of motion with the bars on, they're not hitting the b/c...thanks for the input guys..

jared1624
05-03-2012, 10:31 PM
I was kinda like you, I had tried everything else and the bearing was the last possible thing. I had a spair set and took bearing out of them. I am sure shaw sales them, if not they will point you in the right direction. just give jason a call at shaw's.

mudeater18
05-04-2012, 04:29 AM
Does it have a 90/10 or damper shock. Is it topped out ?

GUARDRAIL
05-04-2012, 05:40 AM
too much top bar angle will do this if the bar is indexed it can hang up on the top bar.

I would really check into this. You can't stretch it so that would make it limit the drop. And definetly check the 90-10 as this will do the same

dirtracr33
05-05-2012, 03:43 PM
took the 90/10 off - it dropped....i've been a little busy, haven't been able to get the car back down on the ground but i'm assuming the pinion angle is off causing it to extend all the way out when the car is on jackstands and the rear end is dropped down? does that sound right? i've never had this problem before so am i assuming right? appreciate all the input - thanks

btw - talked w/ kevin at shaw, he really went out his way trying the help and offered a few other tips regarding setup - so big thanks to kevin and shaw race cars....really nice knowing you've got a "hotline" when having trouble...thanks again.