PDA

View Full Version : Tight Entry Shock Help

7uptruckracer
05-03-2012, 11:53 AM
We can't find anything definitive on shocks for a dirt Application like a tuning guide that tailors to a 3 Link we have found conflicting tuning guides from brand brand that tells us what to change we have a very slightly tight racecar on entry and want to make a front shock change we have recently purchased two new Pro Shocks a WB 7" Stroke 4/6 and a 6/6 to replace the current 5's across the LF and RF where should these go to help us out? Its a Mod 4, 3 link with a long panhard bar the car is extremely close just want to do a shock tweak. We will run in the wet to tacky track and we enter the corner off throttle. HELP we race tomorrow :)

T_Spencer
05-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Put the 4/6 on the LF. The 4 compression OFF throttle will allow a quicker compression on the LF, thus unloading the RR momentarily and helping the car turn.
This also keeps bite in the LR, again OFF throttle, creating a drag or braking affect which will help turn the car to the left.

Let us know what you try and the results.

Dirtrunner35
05-03-2012, 09:08 PM
http://www.auto-ware.com/autoware-bin/techarchive.pl?read=18963
Great reading, I would put the 6 on the left front

stock car driver
05-04-2012, 10:13 AM
http://www.auto-ware.com/autoware-bin/techarchive.pl?read=18963
Great reading, I would put the 6 on the left front

That is good info in the link.

Personally for a tight on entry car I wouldnt be fixing it with split valve shocks. I only run any split valve shocks on smooth tracks. I would fix the car for all track conditions with the set up not shocks.

I would add bite to free up entry on my 4 link oem rear suspension car.

7uptruckracer
05-04-2012, 10:58 AM
T Spencer Thanks for the response this was my thinking being its a 3 link entering off throttle I understand how a 4 link and DLM works and would know what to do there and people only seem to tailor their responses that way but we aren't entering the corner under power more a roll in so my thinking was the same as yours the car is a top 2 car so adjusting anything else would be to much compromise so LF shock offers the least compromise thanks guys!

T_Spencer
05-04-2012, 11:57 AM
7up,

It is a confusing subject and easy to get conflicting advice, even from different chassis manufacturers.
I don't know that there is a true definitive answer for all situations.
Jeff is right though, shocks are typically not the preferred way to fix a loose or tight condition, but since
you say you only need a small tweek and you have the shock go ahead and give it a shot.
It's a timing thing and the effects don't last long, but it may help a little.