PDA

View Full Version : need some advice and help

mayhem148
05-03-2012, 04:52 PM
first i just want to say whats up to everyone since im new here.

about 2 years ago i did some horse trading and got a southern sportmod roller. the car is a bit rough but i have it so i wanted to race it. well it took awhile but i got the car together.
i went to our local track and ran the car. i had a bunch of B/S problems but atleast got to make a few hot laps and half the heat. it was my first time in a race car on the track.
ive made a few laps in my big field but never on a dirt oval. the first thing that i found out is that my car handles like a boat. it pushed through the curves and squirly in the straights.
i dont have alot of money in this car yet. not as much time as i should either. i didnt want to put alot of time and money into something i have never done before just to find out its not
my thing. well it is my thing so i want to get it right. (i shouldve not even ask myself if i was gonna like it cause i knew i would love it) i know alot about the engine side. i know after
a little tuning i will not have a power problem keeping up with even the back of the pack.

my thing is im kinda confused on setting up chassis. the car i have is all backwards i think. the FL feels real loose while the FR is super super stiff. almost feels solid.
im not sure what spring is there but its coming out. they have a tubular upper a arm on the FL that has a bunch of spacers that turns the arm to shove the ball joint foward.
yet everything seemed to still out of wack and the ball joint still shoved back. which in one way can be a good thing but not for what im wanting to do with it.
after looking closer the tube a arm is upside down. is this common? is this a trick that i have never heard about? i know the car has a lot of tire flop when you turn the wheels.
im thinking i would just be better off setting up the car at zero with a little weight on the RR to get started. that way ill know were im at atleast. just asking for advice thats all. im
sure im gonna here im in over my head from someone but i dont care.i just want to see what i can do with a race car.

washeduptoo
05-03-2012, 05:13 PM
I hope you get some info on the southern sport mod on here, but I'm afraid you won't. IMO your best bet would be get with some on your local racers and ask them questions about it. Good luck.

AH55
05-03-2012, 06:54 PM
I would pay to get it setup, if I were you. If there are any chassis builders or knowledgable guys at your track, maybe approach them about it. Most guys will set your car up (scaling, caster camber and toe, and wheelbase) for about 50 bucks. I don't think your in over your head, Sounds like your cars out to lunch on setup, which you'll never get right without scales. Good luck.

cavemod
05-03-2012, 07:22 PM
With the proper info on what you have there are alot of people here that can get you the ball park.The things we and you need to know are what is the frame based of off(chevelle,metric mid sized,ford full size etc.)This car is a 3 link or leaf spring or???Your spring in rf do you know the rate??Did the rf shock bottom out??caster camber??Most cars that don't want to turn or push usually are extremely loose and squirrely as you exit the corner.The spring on rf might be stiff because the previous owner was bottoming out rf shock when this happens the car immediatly pushes/more info would help alot.

washeduptoo
05-04-2012, 07:17 AM
This class is a full frame metric that is cut off past the rear wheels. I wasn't saying people wouldn't help, I should have worded it better. This class is big in La, Tx and Ok. There are usually more in this class than mods at most tracks. Best of luck.

mayhem148
05-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Ok. So I don't have a set of scales but I checked the wedge with the jack and socket method. The rr lifted like 1inch higher than the or. From what I've been told I should have just a little more wedge than that. The front left upper control arm has a fr upper arm on it causing a huge positive castor. Just guessing I would say 30 degrees of castor on the lf. I think this contributed to the pushing problem in the turns. I'm thinking of getting all new springs since I have no idea what's on there right. Unless there stamped on there. The fr is toe out instead of in like all the other car which I know is a pushing problem.