PDA

View Full Version : 78 Camaro or 79 cutlass

racing9HVR
05-06-2012, 07:51 PM
If you had the choice would you pick a 78 camaro or 79 cutlass to build a bomber/hobby class car? and why?

balljoint
05-06-2012, 08:43 PM
If you cant do suspension mods to the front or back, camaro.

I you can change the 4 link around and correct the front geometry and beef up tierods etc, metric.

racing9HVR
05-06-2012, 08:52 PM
here is the rules

FRAME AND SUSPENSION:
A. Minimum wheel base 108”.
B. ½” wheel studs minimum and 1” lug nuts mandatory.
C. All frames must be completely STOCK from front clip to rear clip. NO altering, shortening, or interchanging of any kind.
D. Upper & lower control arms must be stock factory production control arms, and MUST be mounted in original locations with NO cutting, lengthening, shortening of any kind. NO interchanging. Front & Rear control arms.
E. Uni-body cars may not be connected. Stock shape of uni-body may not be altered in any way.
F. NO reese bars, J-bars, torque links, weights jacks or any other traction-enhancing device allowed. G. Stock type shocks ONLY, MUST be mounted in stock location.
H. Stock type suspension ONLY. Leaf spring cars must have leaf springs ONLY, mounted in original position. Coil spring cars must have springs mounted in stock location, and use stock trailing arms. Urethane bushings permitted.

DaveBauerSS6
05-06-2012, 10:57 PM
If you cant do suspension mods to the front or back, camaro.

I you can change the 4 link around and correct the front geometry and beef up tierods etc, metric.

I second that.

The camaro rear shackle mount area is weak. If you cant support that area and its a bash em up track, you may have to visit the body shop frame machine. Old trick was pull the floor up and lay pipe in the frame channels. A lot of work.

racing9HVR
05-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Thank you for the information

dirty white boy
05-07-2012, 11:29 PM
idk if id race a camaro with out frame connectors an there illegal...

racing9HVR
05-08-2012, 04:55 PM
there is more metric type vehicles then camaro at the track. So I am not sure what to do..

dirty white boy
05-08-2012, 05:20 PM
how good is the tech at track? by the rules should be a camaro play ground! id still want frame connectors,..its a safety issue!!

racing9HVR
05-08-2012, 05:33 PM
I will call the tech guy and ask. Does anyone have a picture of the frame connector they have? so I can show the tech guy. Thnak you for the information. I have always raced tube chassis cars year ago, so I am learning all I can to build one (non fulltube)