PDA

View Full Version : Clutch?

Drake Racing
05-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Took new car out Friday, and clutch slipped horribly, question is will a 7.25 single disc hold up to a 3100 lb stock car? Engine is 360 with 500 2bbl, approx 385 hp.

Curt Drake
Stock Car #55x

Drake Racing
05-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Thanks, I was hoping I did something wrong, but clutch just won't hold. Crazy thing is
when I tried this stock car deal before, I had an ACE single disc, and it worked all year with no problems, so I figured a Quarter Master would be fine. Guess Ill have to put my 4.5 back in cause Yost sold his, and I'm out of time.
Curt Drake
Stock car #55x

Dirtman29
05-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Was your ace the 8.5 and is your quarter master the 8.5?

I think those are the only ways to go with a single disc.

I got a clutch from a guy on here building a BETTER viper I dont remember if it was 2 or 1 disc but he basically gave it to me to test cheap and it held and was really light all alum. They are made in illinois and I think only 450 new maybe even less.

It was green, someone will know what brand it was.The guy who has the "green" ones is in Springfield, IL. Brake & Clutch Exchange (217) 515-1990. Hes on this forum. Very good clutches for the money IMO.

Drake Racing
05-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks, might try that, the one I ran before was a cheap (at the time) 7.25 ace I bought from Total performance. I figured a Quarter Master would be just as good. Guess I was wrong.

Curt Drake
Stock Car #55x

Dirtman29
05-12-2012, 10:38 AM
I knew someone would help out.. Thats the one. I met him at a few special events in 08 and 09 over there. He really wanted me to try one of his clutches. It did work great for me but again Im not sure if it was a single or double disc.

Really nice piece and hand made locally!The way he explained it to me, mine was a 3 disc but the way they are designed, it actually had 4 surfaces on it that grab.
Unfortunately I had to sell my SS, but that was a really nice clutch for the money!