PDA

View Full Version : bent framerail

dirtracer24
05-13-2012, 10:37 PM
took a hit in the right door this weekend right lower frame rail got pushed in behind mid plate roughly an inch. the car dosent seem to be hurt other than this 8 to 10 inch spot the hit wasnt that hard i think the cars just caught each other in just the wrong place. the question is what is the general concensius on repair or course of action.car is a 08 warrior i live no where near them so taking it to them is not a feasible option. i know the older grt,s had spots were you could check them for square to detirmine if the geometry of the car was affected. ill be calling warrior monday but just thought id see what the opinions are here. thanks in advanced

joedoozer
05-14-2012, 08:21 AM
It can be fixed. There are several things you need to check.

1. Is anything else bent?
2. Did it crack any other welds?
3. Did it move any suspension pick up points?
4. Has that "ding" effected anything else on the car?
5. Is it mild steel or chromoly? Call Warrior with the Chassis #, they can tell you.

If you have an open trailer you can anchor the chassis to. You can straighten the frame using floor jacks, porta-a-power, or even the Ram from a Cherry Picker. You need to know the height and locations of your suspension pick up points in "space" (prior to crash). You can recheck those points to see if anything has moved.

If everything else is where it's suppose to be, and you just need to fix the bend. You can either try to straighten it. Or cut out the bent section and slug in a new one.