PDA

View Full Version : Brinn won't go into high

kellerman24
05-20-2012, 02:46 PM
We have a Brinn It will go into high just setting there with the car not started but won't go into high with the car running. Any ideas of what could be wrong would help a lot thanks.

oldtrackchamp4x
05-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Are you trying to put it in high with the car not moving? It will not work. You need to get car moving in first gear then shift into high.

powerslide
05-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Like mentioned has to be rolling in low at the correct rpms before it will shift it will just grind if u try to pull it in high from standing still w/ motor running

Egoracing
05-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Just incase you did not know, You put the trans into 1st or reverse and press the clutch down to move, you do NOT push the clutch in and then try to put it into gear. Once it is moving forward on the clutch with it in 1st, let go of the clutch and pull it into high and you are locked into high gear. To stop you need to knock it out of gear, do NOT push the clutch to stop.

kellerman24
05-21-2012, 09:15 AM
yes the car was rolling was doing everything as said above we switched from a bert so i didnt no if u had to do something different

powerslide
05-21-2012, 09:22 AM
if they could use a bert a brinn should be a breeze. I would say something is not right. Can you put it in high and push start it?

billetbirdcage
05-21-2012, 06:12 PM
This may be obvious but:

Does it just grind or not want to move the lever?

If it grinds but won't go into gear, you may not have enough RPM's as a Bert has a noticeably lower first gear then a Brinn so you have to go faster with the Brinn to get it in gear.

dirttrackrocker
05-21-2012, 09:57 PM
I have a Brinn and I can shift mine into high as soon as the car is rolling on it's own.

racin6mod
05-22-2012, 06:05 PM
I rebuilt a brinn for a local racer last season and he had the same problem I went to his shop and found the shifting rod on the high/ low side just needed tobe a little longer. sounds like bs but a couple turns was all it took. once the internals are rotating it take a little more travel from the lever to get it fully engaged. as stated above the brinn is much easier to shift than a bert once everthing is correct.

here's a cad model of the brinn you can see the shifter in the center with the large square coggs that lock in low and high this unit has to move the correct distance to engage as needed. if your in west central il I can check it out for you to be sure nothing is broken in the trany.