PDA

View Full Version : RF Bump Stop?

DJ16
05-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Just looking for some opinions on using a rf bump stop on the shock. When the car gets on it will it make me have a push under accel? I assume it will be a pretty stiff spring rate when it gets against the stop. This car drives like crap unless it gets real low on rf then its so close to bottoming if the track has patches of traction or is rough at all it bottoms the frame and skates up the track. When I go stiffer and the car doesn't get down on the rf the car pushes up the track. Thanks for you input.

hall99
05-21-2012, 10:33 AM
I use one all of the time not really as a bump stop but as protection for the shock so it doesn't bottom out. Usually cut a rubber bump to the height i need. The only time i really feel it is when the tracks are really hooked up. Never have a push problem.

Matt49
05-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Ditto what hall99 said. We actually run on on the RF and RR. The only time it hits is when the track is really rough and we've mis-adjusted our shocks and or picked the wrong spring combination. It's a protection thing for the shock and has a lot better driver feel than when you bottom the shock out. Just use your travel indicators to see where you are at. Travel indicators will tell you a lot about what your car is doing if you don't have trained-eye observers.

DJ16
05-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the info , sounds like you don't want to plan on being on a bumpstop under normal circumstances , just extremes

grt74
05-21-2012, 06:30 PM
bump stops have there place but your shocks and srings are huge factors in this setup along with the fact of a very consistant racing surface(smooth track)and also used for the above reasons also

hall99
05-22-2012, 08:48 AM
bump stops have there place but your shocks and srings are huge factors in this setup along with the fact of a very consistant racing surface(smooth track)and also used for the above reasons also

Yes I agree was at West Plains last year for a Mars/Msra race, You are typically on the RF pretty good there. I had just put a new one on and made it about 3/16" taller than the old one as soon as I hot lapped I new it was to tall the car wasn't rotating good. Came in cut that off and the car was good. Good example of how sensitive it can be.

Matt - Funny you said that I actually have run them on the RF, RR, and 5th arm with really good success (a few years ago). But I was going to tracks I had been on alot they were all smooth slick tracks.