PDA

View Full Version : The Annual Alphabet Soup Race is this Sunday at I-80

kearney
05-21-2012, 09:13 AM
The Annual Alphabet Soup Race is this Sunday at I-80

Memorial Day weekend is fast approaching and that means it’s time for the annual Alphabet Soup Race at I-80 Speedway. The 50 lap feature will pay $5,000 to win and will be co-sanctioned by the Corn Belt Clash (CBC) and the Midwest Late Model Racing Association (MLRA). The event is scheduled for Sunday, May 27 with a 6:35pm start time.
The winner of the soup race will receive a provisional into I-80 Speedway’s Silver Dollar Nationals. If that driver qualifies for the SDN through the heat or last chance races of the SDN, (earning a higher starting spot in the SDN), then the highest finisher of the Soup race not qualified for the SDN will receive the provisional from the Soup race and a guaranteed starting spot in the $25,000 to win Silver Dollar Nationals on July 19-21. The Silver Dollar Nationals is the biggest race in Nebraska Racing History.

Last month at the Spring Meltdown, Will Vaught of Crane, Missouri picked up the win and became the first driver guaranteed a spot in the Silver Dollar Nationals. In 2011 Chad Simpson of Mt. Vernon, Iowa capitalized on his brother Chris’ misfortune to win the Soup race. In 2010, Kelly Boen of Henderson, Colorado won the Alphabet Soup race. The 2009 version of the Soup Race suffered through a rain delay, but after the delay John Anderson of Omaha won one of the most exciting races ever held at I-80 after dueling with Chad Simpson and Kyle Berck.
John Anderson of Omaha and Will Vaught of Crane, Missouri are currently tied for the MLRA point lead with Galena, Missouri’s Jesse Stovall just 4 points behind. Chris Simpson is currently leading the CBC points.

The A Modifieds will also be race at the Soup Race running IMCA type rules with no sanction and no entry fee if pre-registered with the feature paying $1,200 to win. Many of these drivers will be returning in July for the USMTS portion of the Silver Dollar Nationals. Finally the Hobby Stocks will be racing for $500 to win with no sanction fee and no entry fee if pre-registered. Pit Gates open at 3pm, Grandstands at 5:00 with racing at 6:35. Grandstand Admission is $20 for Adults, Kids (6-12) $5 and Children 5 and Under Free.

On Friday, June 29 the CBC & MLRA will be joined by MARS as they return to I-80 for the Midwest Trifecta and one last tune up before the Silver Dollar Nationals. That race will also see another driver earn an automatic starting spot in the Silver Dollar Nationals. For more information visit www.I-80speedway.com or call (402)-342-3453.