PDA

View Full Version : Shaver Captures Exciting ULTIMATE Win At Vitginia Motor Speedway

FASTRAKPR
05-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Steve Shaver Captures ULTIMATE Win In Dramatic Fashion At Virginia Motor Speedway

Steve Shaver’s car co-owner Kevin Rumley summed up the debut of their brand new Rocket Chassis in just a few words Saturday night pointing to the unused car still sitting in their team hauler “that’s now the back-up car, we will be using this one a lot”. Shaver shored up his first win of the season when he made a rousing lap 48 pass on the outside of race-long leader Jeremy Miller on the outside of turns one and two and then pulled away over the final 2 circuits to take the $10,000 winner’s check and his 2nd consecutive ULTIMATE Super Late Model Series win at Bill Sawyer’s Virginia Motor Speedway Mid-Atlantic Championship presented by FK Rod Ends. “This was just an awesome race car. We got behind in qualifying and it was tough to pass in the heat race but I felt like we were going to have a shot once we got to the feature. The car was just really maneuverable and the engine was flawless as always. We have been struggling a little this year by our own standards and it sure feels like we have things headed back in the right direction again.” Shaver said after his 50-lap triumph.

Defending World of Outlaws Late Model Champion Rick Eckert took overall fast time honors in VP Race Fuels Time Trials Qualifying. Eckert laid down a lap of 17.775 seconds (101.265 MPH) around Bill Sawyer’s big half mile facility. ULTIMATE Series-regular Zack Mitchell of Enoree, South Carolina timed in 2nd quick with a lap of 17.818 seconds (101.021 MPH). Shaver, defending ULTIMATE Super Late Model Series Champion Chris Ferguson and ULTIMATE Friday night County Line winner Chris Madden rounded out the top five in VP Race Fuels Time Trials.

After time trials were completed, four 8-lap heat races were utilized to set the first 8 rows for the A-main. Madden put himself on the pole position for the A-Main when he scored the win in Hoosier Race Tires Heat #1 ahead of Eckert, Kenny Moreland and Darryl Hills. FK Rod Ends Heat #2 saw Miller take the win over Dale McDowell, Zack Mitchell and Daniel Baggerly. The American Race Tires Heat #3 was won by Jamie Lathoum. Shaver, ULTIMATE Series point leader Casey Roberts and Jason Covert followed. Ferguson scored the win in the Velocita USA Heat #4. Dennis “Rambo” Franklin, Stevie Long and Coleby Frye rounded out the transfers. Ricky Elliott took the checkers in the Vicci Apparel B-Main.

At the drop of the green flag Madden nosed to the point with Miller just to his outside. As the field entered turn one Miller swept around Madden’s outside to take the point. Madden tried to answer back but to no avail. Madden settled into 2nd with Ferguson and McDowell giving chase. Shaver, who was running in the 6th position, nearly met with disaster on lap 2. Shaver entered turn one looking under 5th running Lathroum. Shaver’s machined pushed up the track slightly and then the Vienna, West Virginia driver nearly spun trying to right his machine. The bobble allowed Eckert to slip past and put Shaver to 7th in the order.

But Shaver was on a mission. He went right back to work and slowly but surely began to pick his way back through the field. “After I nearly spun out I worked into a rhythm. I was trying to save my tires a little bit but I also knew that we had gone a little harder than a lot of guys in front of us. So I could abuse mine a little bit if I needed to. When I got to Jeremy I started moving around a little to see if I could pick up on him. I tried the top of one and two with about 6 or 7 to go and I felt like that would be where we were going to be able to get by him. I hate it for Jeremy, he’s a friend but we were really hungry to get this win.” Shaver said.

Miller knew he was in trouble late in the race. “We were softer on tires than they were and I knew when I saw his number up on the scoreboard behind me I was in for a fight. I heard him up outside of me there a few times but I figured that if I could keep the car down on the black and not leave the bottom open I might be okay. But Steve had a little bit more than we did at the end.” Miller concluded.

“This is a brand new car that is a little bit differently designed. We have been working and working on the design with Rocket and we have been trying to get this thing together and all the hard work has sure paid off. I owe this to Kevin and Leroy Rumley and all our sponsors. This is a great way to bring out a new car and we will hopefully keep this momentum going as we start getting towards time for some of the bigger shows.” Shaver added.

The ULTIMATE Super Late Model Series now sets its sights on East Tennessee and the ULTIMATE Shootout doubleheader weekend May 25th and 26th. Friday night, May 25th the series will travel to 411 Speedway in Seymour, Tennessee for a $4000 to win / 40 lap event. Then on Saturday night, May 26th the series moves over to Smoky Mountain Speedway located in Maryville, Tennessee for the NAPA Know How ULTIMATE Shootout which also pays $4000 to win for the 40-lap A-Main. For more information visit www.ultimatesupers.com or the tracks’ websites respectively located at www.411motorspeedway.net or www.smokymountainspeedway.com

The ULTIMATE Super Late Model Series would like to thank all of its marketing partners for their great and continuing support. Those 2012 sponsors include: Hoosier Race Tires, American Racer Tires, VP Racing Fuel, City Chevrolet, Vicci Apparel, RockAuto.com, FK Rod Ends and Thomas Clarke Performance. ULTIMATE would also like to welcome Cool Shirt, Five Star Bodies, Hooker Harness, Kooks Custom Headers, R2C Filters, Sisco Fire and Safety and Tiger Rear Ends to our line-up of product sponsors. If you are interested in becoming a sponsor of the ULTIMATE Super Late Model Series please contact Stan Lester at the FASTRAK Corporate Office at (678) 935-7304 or Series Director Kelley Carlton at (864) 871-1442. Visit the ULTIMATE Super Late Model Series online at www.ultimatesupers.com and be sure to like us our Facebook fan page.

Race Results From Virginia Motor Speedway:

1) 6 Steve Shaver – Vienna, WV
2) 1M Jeremy Miller – Gettysburg, PA
3) 17m Dale McDowell – Chickmauga, GA
4.) 24 Rick Eckert – York, PA
5) 6 Jamie Lathroum – Mechanicsville, MD
6) 44 Stevie Long – Mechanicsville, MD
7) 22 Chris Ferguson – Mt. Holly, NC
8) 37c Dennis Franklin – Gaffney, SC
9) 43a Jason Covert – McConnellsburg, PA
10) 101 Casey Roberts – Toccoa, GA
11) 26 Jerry Bard – Shippensburg, PA
12) 7H Darryl Hills – Great Mills, MD
13) 16 Daniel Baggerly – Rural Retreat, VA
14) 12 Devin Friese – Chambersburg, PA
15) 98 Casey Barrow – Savannah, GA
16) 57 Zack Mitchell – Enoree, SC
17) 24 Kenny Moreland – Waldorf, MD
18) D8 Dustin Mitchell – Lucama, NC
19) 44 Chris Madden – Gray Court, SC
20) 88 Ricky Elliott – Seaford, DE
21) 04 David Watts – Buchanan, VA
22) 32 Coleby Frye – Dover, PA
23) 17 Mike Gault – Gaffney, SC
24) 121 Benji Cole – Cannon, GA
25) 22 Gregg Satterlee – Rochester Mills, PA
26) 93 Donald Bradsher – Burlington, NC

DNS: Dean Bowen, Matt Quade, Rick Halson, Tim Shelton, Davis Lipscombe, Joe Ender and Anthony Kincaid

Entries: 33 representing 9 states