PDA

View Full Version : Bore/stroke for 1/2 mile track?

llm4
05-22-2012, 10:06 AM
I run linited late model and looking at a motor to run on a 1/2 mile dirt track with long straightaways. The motor has 3.35 stroke and 4.130 bore with 750 carberator, port/polish, etc. Is this a good motor for this type of track or is there a better combination for this track. Max cubic inch is 364 cubic inches.

dynoman14
05-22-2012, 12:47 PM
Should be fine, if your heads and camshaft match good it should run fine. There are a million racers out there running big bore small stroke and it is a proven combination.

I have run some stuff backwards of that with small bore / big stroke that has run good up to 1/2 mile so it just depends on how you do things.

llm4
05-22-2012, 08:37 PM
dynoman14,

Thanks for your input! I have read good things about the combo but never have ran it.

thanks again.

DaveBauerSS6
05-23-2012, 12:33 AM
That is the best combo.
Another point to consider on a tight corner/ long straight track is putting solid parts to handle high RPM. Most guys get beat by another car that is geared lower. You need to come out the corner running not lugging it. Most guys will not run their motor high enough.

ford396
05-23-2012, 09:29 PM
We have run a very similar combination on a 1/2 mile as well as a 1/4 mile track. Ours is a 3.260 stroke with a 4.180 bore. My driver cannot believe how smooth it is coming out of the corner and how deep he can drive it into the corner due to the light weight rotating parts. I also have another one that it 3.268 with a 4.155 bore. It makes real good numbers on the dyno but no track time yet.

As mentioned already, be prepared to turn it up. It needs to have good enough valvetrain to live at the higher rpm that it may have to turn. Depending how it is cammed and how big the heads are, you may not need to go over mid to high 7s. Our new motor as mentioned above has a peak torque of 5200 and at 7000 the H.P. starts going down hill.

If this is a two barrel class, as I surmise it might be based on the "Limited" Late model, you will not be disappointed.