PDA

View Full Version : LR limiter chain question

DJ16
05-22-2012, 09:13 PM
I was wondering if some of you experienced set up guys could explain the location of the LR limiter chain. I notice it is normal for it to be center of axle front to rear but what about side to side location? Is closer to center near side bell better? or closer to birdcage? When it is closer to the center it seems it may hinder the lift bar from planting the rear under acceleration? Can it just go on the birdcage where everyone used to run the dummy shock? I would love to hear some experiences and the pros and cons. Thanks

DJ16
05-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Come on guys give me some help here. Where is your chain? Why is it there and not in a different location?

Matt49
05-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Ideally, you want the chain length to be the ONLY thing that effects travel limit. That being said, mounting it to a birdcage shock mount is a bad idea because travel limit will change when you make 4-bar angle or length changes due to the difference in birdcage indexing. So mounting it to the axle tube is really the way to go.
As far as where to mount it left to right. You'll want it as close to the birdcage as you can get it.
If you have it too far toward the center, when the chain is at full extension, up and down movement of the right rear will have a greater effect on bar angle change in the left rear. It is the left rear bar angles that we are actually trying to control with travel limit so the more control the better. Having it closer to the birdcage provides more control.

DJ16
05-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Thats kind of what I was thinking but this car was very fast with its previous owner and the chain is all the way in up against the side bell. I have been reluctant to relocate it because I was not sure.

washeduptoo
05-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Some are running the chain at the bell but there are other things involved, like lr drop, b/c location, etc. I was told it lets the rear end move around/float better. I would leave it like it is and run it and then move it to where you want it and try that. Good luck.

DJ16
05-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Does anyone else care to share about the location of the LR chain? side to side location? center of axle tube or in front of it on a clamp?