PDA

View Full Version : Transmission cooler, run one with a fan or not?

Jeffery
05-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Looking at transmission coolers, should I run one with a battery powered fan and thermostat or not?

They are not that expensive, and I have been charging my battery between races/heats. Running an optima red top that is about 5 years old.

Would it be a mistake?

LowTechRacing
05-23-2012, 09:36 AM
You didn't say what tranny you have, I have a th350 and I don't even put in front of the radiator. Should be fine with out. Never had a problem with tranny's

Jeffery
05-23-2012, 09:40 AM
You didn't say what tranny you have, I have a th350 and I don't even put in front of the radiator. Should be fine with out. Never had a problem with tranny's

Its a powerglide, I ran for 3 season straight with no cooler at all on the same tranny. Put a new rebuild in and smoked it in 3 races, figured I'd put a cooler on my next one.

3dinter
05-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Its a powerglide, I ran for 3 season straight with no cooler at all on the same tranny. Put a new rebuild in and smoked it in 3 races, figured I'd put a cooler on my next one.

i put a deeper pan on mine and also ran a inline cooler, seems to be ok..strange thing to run one 3 yrs with no cooler and now 3 races and she blows...could it be a rebuild issue ?

Jeffery
05-23-2012, 11:28 AM
i put a deeper pan on mine and also ran a inline cooler, seems to be ok..strange thing to run one 3 yrs with no cooler and now 3 races and she blows...could it be a rebuild issue ?

Mabey but I doubt it, ran fine in the heat, won the heat race and couldnt get high in the feature. Fluid was dark and cooked. Dont know much about trannys, mystery box for the most part. Either works or it doesnt.

Chico
05-23-2012, 07:03 PM
L always used one with a glide and just mounted it on am outside bar or in the trunk if the bottom was cut out never had a prob with it I too would look at the rebuild If everything was built the same installed the same adjusted the same that's where I'd look

carowner73
05-23-2012, 09:56 PM
speedway sells aluminum radiators with the coolers built in, made by Northern....its what i am running with a .060 350 engine and turbo 350 with no cooling or tranny issues. i believe they are hot rod radiators but it does fine in my dirt track car.

DaveBauerSS6
05-23-2012, 11:40 PM
No fan needed, just 1 more thing to go wrong. Hang the cooler in front of radiator or off one of the bars. It will radiate enough heat to help the trans. Trannys with converters need a cooler. Larger pan is good. Synthetic oil can help the trans live longer. Flashing the converter on restarts and in the corners produce heat. I will not mount one in the driver area, too big a hazard.
Good luck.