PDA

View Full Version : Gm 7.5

BSKA
05-29-2012, 04:17 PM
hey guys,
im currently running a 2.41 gear with thinner ring gear. i got a 4.10 from an S10 with a thicker ring gear. are they interchangeable, i would be swapping the entire carrier and pinion.
will this work?
thanks

billy5
05-29-2012, 09:32 PM
yep...works as long as the axle spline counts the same...some s10s are 28 spline...and gm 7.5 rears have 2 sizes of pinion bearings.

3dinter
05-30-2012, 10:41 AM
hey guys,
im currently running a 2.41 gear with thinner ring gear. i got a 4.10 from an S10 with a thicker ring gear. are they interchangeable, i would be swapping the entire carrier and pinion.
will this work?
thanks

the thick 4.10 gear will work with the series 2 carrier in a 7.5
Theres a place in south Texas called Rhino Racing Rearends, google and call them, they are 7.5 experts.
There is 2 different pionion bearing sizes also, i found out the hard way if i remember correctly 77-81 then 82-88 for the 7.5
then like the other reply, there is 2 different spline count axles a 26 and 28, not for sure if they interchange or not.
Use a thick gear for the series 2 carrier or thin gear with a spacer. A series 3 carrier will fit in the 7.5 also.
Let us know how it works out....

champkrt1
05-31-2012, 05:47 PM
hey guys,
will this work?
thanks

You have a pretty good chance that everything will swap over, but there are some variables that could still throw you for a loop.

#1. As already mentioned, the inner pinion bearing on the housing could be a different size. 78-80 (give or take) had the smaller bearings, everything after that had the large bearing.

#2 For the assembly coming out of the s-10, if its a 2 wheel drive, it should be a 26 spline axle setup, but it if came out of a 4 wheel drive, its going to have 28 spline spiders in the carrier and such.

Feel free to contact me at eddie@TaborRacingDevelopment.com

BSKA
06-12-2012, 08:58 PM
so got the proper ring gear spacer. have 4.10's installed but still binding? it was mentioned above the pinion bearing being different, we talking slight diff or obvious diff in size? its seems very close, pinion in with crush sleeve, slight bind or too loose once i remove shims.
any help is appreciated

BSKA
06-25-2012, 11:38 AM
bump..........

dynoman14
11-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Call Randy at Randy's Ring and Pinion, you prolly don't have the proper ring gear spacer or spacers on the pinion / crush sleeve.

There are some diameter differences in the carriers and bearings from the S-10 you need to resolve as I recall...

If you still have problems pm me and I'll see what I have sitting around as I still have about 10 of them racing rears from our PARTS Pro Truck days.

fast_crew
11-21-2012, 06:57 PM
What shims are you removing when you say it's too loose? By binding do you mean its snug to turn or its notchy feeling? How are you setting pinion preload? What do you have for backlash?

racer69
11-21-2012, 08:26 PM
If your using a ring gear spacer with the carrier that was in the S-10 with the ring too thats probably the issue. If you pulled it all and added the spacer. The spacer is needed to use the numerically higher gear with the 2.41 carrier. LOl had to learn all this for my daily driver...Monte SS.